M-80 Frame

myson

Hi, I am just wondering what material the M-80 frame is made from. Mine has no frame number and is very light although extremely hard.( could not stamp number on footrest mounting area but can pick up frame with little finger) some areas have been stripped to bare metal for several months and show no signs of even the slightest surface rust. I know later frames were chrome moly which is lighter but were there any after market or factory frames made around 1970-72 when the slimline was built?

cheers,

Myson

Looks like M-80, upright center post (air box srews to top), one peice swing arm (not like 199 etc) slimline tank/seat unit etc, just seems like its made from "decent tubing" and had no frame number on head stock or footrest mounts,

Cheers,

myson

According to Historia de la Sherpa T The Story, Chrome-moly tube was not used until frame no 9100727 and for the 350 9202387.

I think that was after the removal of the triangulated tubes from the vertical upright the rear side diagonals (from footrest to top shock mount).

Martin

Cheers Martin, I was wondering if the factory made some after market frames or some other manufacturer could have made them at a later date. I think I have an M-85 frame from same year so I will compare these,

cheers

Myson

Edited by myson

Hi

My M80 frame from October 1971 is mild steel for certain.

In my opinion all standard Bultaco trials frames from Spain (from M10 to M199B) were mild steel and electric welded

although the quality of the tubing did improve over the years.

Go on, prove me wrong.

Kind Regards

Sparks2

Hi Wayne

Not that long ago I was looking at a Martin Lampkin M199 (Blue) Bultaco,

probably his last from the factory and that looked fairly standard Bultaco material

and electric welded.

Over the years, aftermarket frames have been available and probably many one off's

have been constructed by individual owners and probably a few by the factory.

Regards

Sparks2

• 2 weeks later...