Model 159 Brake Issues

sdm

Well I rode my first trial last week and really had fun and learned alot. If there was one thing I could ask for however is an improvement on the brakes on my 77 model 159. I was constantly mashing both the front brake and rear to get slow enough to make turns after a short steep drop off or down hill and had too much momentum on several occasions. I have new brake shoes on both ends and all the mechanicals are in good shape so I have to wonder if I am doing something wrong. I know the brakes are working against some pretty good flywheel effect in the engine but I would think they should be more effective. The chrome on the hubs is in good shape and not peeling so that is not the issue. I am wondering however if doing the steel insert conversion will help the braking performance or does it just replace the chrome lining without any real noticable improvement in braking. Any one have any experience with that conversion let me know...

Thanks

Sam

If I compare the brakes on my Street Triple with the Sherpa then the Sherpa's are non existent!

However back in the sixties the brakes were adeqaute.

But I think that we must rememeber that these bike were launched 45 years ago and the likes of Miller, Lampkin did not have any issues with them.

Today, however they are compared with modern bikes with disc systems incorportating Hydaulic calipers.

On my Sherpa both Hubs needed sleeving, but one difference was that I got the brake shoes skimmed (in place on the brake plate) to exactly match the bore diameter of the sleeve.

Once bedded in they where fine.

So try getting them skimmed.

Hope this helps.

Martin

Hi Martin

Yes I realize modern brakes work like magic compared to the older bikes. It just seems like they should work better than they do on my bike. I did try to arch the shoes in and match as best I could when I installed the new shoes but I may have more to do in that area also. They may need more bedding in..

Did you notice an improvement after religning the hubs?

Thanks

Sam

Hi

It would be an unfair test, as on both my hubs the previous owner had gone straight through the chrome lining into the aluminium.

So I was left no alternative but the skim out and sleeve.

However the brakes did improve after skimming with use, and are now fine.

Regards

martin

Hi

It would be an unfair test, as on both my hubs the previous owner had gone straight through the chrome lining into the aluminium.

So I was left no alternative but the skim out and sleeve.

However the brakes did improve after skimming with use, and are now fine.

Regards

martin

Thanks for the info. Martin.