Trials Bike Mot

Got my MOT booked for saturday on my 2007 sherco 290. Been sorting things out, got a horn (looks like something off my baby's walker), paperwork ready and done bearings as they had a little play in them, spoke to the bloke in garage and he said he'll cut me some slack with the number plate as he knows its near impossible to hang a full size one off the mudguard. But im a bit worried about tyres. Which tyres are road legal. I got dunlops that say competition use on them, so obvious these are not. anyone got info on some road legal tyres???????

Just check my tyres, rear one says FOR COMPETITION USE and the front says IN USA AND CANADA NOT FOR ROAD USE!!! Does this mean i can use it on the road in the rest of the world. ha ha

If you,ve got Mich x11's on they are legal in the UK, scrub off any not for road use words on the tyres if not Mich's as they can't fail a tyre that doesn't state not for road use. Horn must make a constant continuos sound, and you'll need a proper sized number plate and a twenty quid note dropped on the test floor at 3 mins in will work real well :rotfl:

Edited by The Addict

MOT guidelines for motorcycles state the following reasons to fail a tyre:

Motocross or similar tyres, i.e. tyres where the space between tread blocks is substantially greater than the size of the blocks themselves; which do not have MST (multi service tyre) with an 'E' in a circle or an e in a rectangle moulded into or on to the tyre wall

Tyres designated by their manufacture as unsuitable for road use e.g. racing tyres or those marked NHS or NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE on the sidewall.

If your tyres have a E marking your fine full stop. There is no need to remove the for competition use only. On the Michelin it also clearly states that this is only for the USA and Canada. I once had a problem with an MOT and resorted to phoning Michelin UK. They sent me and the tester a fax showing the type approval and road legality outwith the USA and Canada.

If the tyres stay not for road use you may be better to buy a Michelin or remove the writing or simpler take the bike to a friendlier tester. I found one guy who was going to fail me because the seat was not suitable. I think my laughing hard made him change his mind.

• 2 months later...

gents what we have to remember here is that the mot is not the same as the law.

ie the bike does not need a horn or speedo for the mot. It does however need it to be ridden on the road.

if any lights are fitted they must work, so take all of them off.

numberplates are the worse thing size etc.

the important thing to remember is that, construction and use offences covered by the police are not the same as mot legislation, so in effect you could pass your mot and then get stopped and reported for an offence by the police if things are not correct.

hope that helps.

min reqirement on the road.

1.horn (not a bell)

2. legal tyres (enough said)

3.numberplate

4.working speedo (wireless cycle comp is good to 199mph so perfect)

5.insurance

6.mot

all do happy riding.....

• 8 months later...