New To Me 1998 315

bowershall

Hi

Just bought a 1998 315. New to Montesa so is there anything in particular I should look out for?

Any info on where to purchase parts etc would be appreciated.

Or are there any essential or worthwhile mods to be made?

Thanks

Gordon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have a 98 315R which I have had from new, haven't used it for years after breaking my ankle in 2002 but got back out on it a couple of months ago. Have made some mods since digging it out of the garage and was surprised to find how much difference they made. Both my girlfriend and a mate were learning to ride trials on this bike and we were all really surprised how much difference they made.

Mitani clutch - expensive

Wilfie - I have the same problem with the rear brake pedal being too far forward and it's also got bent over the years before I got it and now the folding tip is dangerously close to the clutch case!

Where did you get the shorter brake pedal? And how much more expensive is the Mitani clutch as mine needs new plates ......

Cheers

Must be a popular first bike,ive just bought a similar one,searched the forums for a manual,pretty difficult to find,is there much difference between a 98 and 2002 model?

Sorry to hijack the thread but i guess relevant to new owners,also the filler cap below the carb/near the clutch slave cylinder, is this the filler for the gearbox?

Ive learnt loads from reading previous threads,so thanks for all the help and info.

Regards Andy.

Brake calipers! That's another difference, makes no odds as they're not in the manual but the earlier bikes had a Grimeca on the front instead of AJP and the older large caliper on the rear instead of the newer 'compact' one.

Front brakes,im having a real prob bleeding them up,when i got the bike there was a loose banjo and no front brake, easy i thought add brake fluid ,bleed, voila front brake,. no hardest bleeding job ive come across in 25 years.

Cheers Again Andy.

You may need a new seal kit for a start. Back off the adjuster on the lever as far as it will go so you're getting as long a stroke on the master piston as possible. You need to make sure the piston assembley is in the right sort of position with the ports in the cylinder to transfer the oil on each stroke. There is a ball bearing under the bleed nipple on the caliper which makes it impossible to back bleed with a syringe unless you take it out first. That's what I normally do and then put the ball bearing back, whilst trying not to lose too much fluid, and finish bleeding as normal. Should sort it.

Thanks Wherry,i think you may be right about needing a seal kit.

Thats why i couldnt back bleed it then(ball bearing)

Theres a few bits i need from sandifords so ill add that to the list.

Thanks again regards Andy.

• 1 year later...

You may need a new seal kit for a start. Back off the adjuster on the lever as far as it will go so you're getting as long a stroke on the master piston as possible. You need to make sure the piston assembley is in the right sort of position with the ports in the cylinder to transfer the oil on each stroke. There is a ball bearing under the bleed nipple on the caliper which makes it impossible to back bleed with a syringe unless you take it out first. That's what I normally do and then put the ball bearing back, whilst trying not to lose too much fluid, and finish bleeding as normal. Should sort it.

wished id read up about that ball bearing,,, as i found out the hard way.

useing my full body weight on the back of a large syringe, when wosh, pipe blew off, head to toe, bike,and garage, coated in brake fluid. early bath time.

Hi

Just bought a 1998 315. New to Montesa so is there anything in particular I should look out for?....

Thanks

Gordon

..Yes, never put the fuel tank back on in a hurry !

I did, once, and I know of others as well....it can nip the throttle cable and rev to the moon !

Great bike, loved mine, has got to be one of the toughest water cooled trials bike ever made.

Edited by HAM2

wished id read up about that ball bearing,,, as i found out the hard way.

useing my full body weight on the back of a large syringe, when wosh, pipe blew off, head to toe, bike,and garage, coated in brake fluid. early bath time.

is that why youve got grey hair then clay :rotfl: