Armstrong Tl240 Wrong Carb ?

grm61

hi can any one help solve my problem?i have a 1982 armstrong240tl which has a bing carb fitted and runs like a sack of crap,after a number of jet changes still made no change in perfornance. is the bing carb origanal?i i for one dont think so does any one know what the origanal one was or should be

Bing won't be original. The 250 Hiro engines used Amal. I would guess, as I'm not positive, that the 240 Rotax engine used a Dellorto. I'm assuming yours is a Rotax as you're calling it a 240TL.

I'm certain it would be an Amal, Rotax or Hiro engine, I know the later aluminium framed mono's definitely had the Rotax engine with an Amal carb because I had one. As to a replacement, I think 27mm Amals are difficult to come by and anyway I'd be tempted towards the Dellorto route as fitted to an Aprillia or an OKO and sus it out myself.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Just saw your post & I guess you've sorted it by now, but anyway the bike (240 Rotax) was fitted with an AMAL 2627 carb, with settings as follows:

Slide '22' - yes 22 - this was a special slide for armstrong and it's just a 2.0 filed a bit to make it 1/2 way between 2.0 and 2.5

Needle 2B1

Needle jet 106

Pilot jet 20

Main jet 130

Spec. L2627/1

I have tried both a new AMAL and a new Dellorto and the AMAL seemed better. However, to get the engine to pull well at the bottom end it was necessary to retard the ign. timing to the most retarded position as specified in the SWM 240TL manual ( I don't think Armstrong ever made a manual for this bike ??). Otherwise it's a nice bike.

'hope this helps

John