Where Are All The Classic Entries?

pete_scorpa3

The Strtaford-Upon-Avon Club are running a round of the Sammy Miller Classic Bike series on Sunday 23rd May starting at Downs Farm near Bourton on the Hill.

Current entries, as follows:

1 Pre unit rigid = 3

2 Pre unit springer = 7

3 2 stroke = 5

4 Unit 4 stroke = 7

5 Pre unit sidecar = 5

6 Unit sidecar = 2

7 Twinshock sidecar = 1

8 Twinshock = 24

9 Trail bikes = 5

10 Easy route-all classes non champoinship = 23

Overall total = 82.

The SCUJ trial (and the Sammy Miller series) was I believe created for British bikes and sidecars competing on sensible sections.

If the trial was limited to this, there would be just 29 entries at present instead of 82.

Entry list CLICK here.

I wonder why there are so few classic machines entered?

Pete

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete, I noticed the same at a recent two day pre-65 and twin shock i rode at. I spoke to a couple of the guys there both riding twinshocks, both mid forties, both said the same, they are riding the bikes they grew up on, not something thier dads owned. not sure i hold with the theory, but a compelling argument all the same.

Isn't that class two?

No, That is easy route. The only way to get a ride on the hard route with a pre unit springer is to go in the british replica's class. The Sam Cooper has always kept the severity of sections on the sensible/easy side, and pre unit springers have often posted best performance of the day over the years. I'm sure Dennis Bridges never envisaged a day when there wasnt even a class for them.

I've not entered this year, though the shortened road mileage will attract more twinshock entries. Its only back to 2006 (if i remember rightly) that of the 80 odd entry only 10 or so were twinshock (the first year of the class being extended beyond pre75 Spanish). ACU Traditional too hard for many (incl me), SM about right ? There was talk of a new twinshock championship but will this kill the SM ?

Think they are getting to expensive to smash up.

I seldom ride my Triumphs, prefering my Fantic for both the fact its what i grew up on, and the ease of obtaining spares...

Lots of the pre 65 bikes are a bit special now, and the sections have evolved with them...

alook at the calendar gives the best insight as to the availability of pre 65 riders.. on 23 rd may Yorkshire classic is holding a round of its championship near Bradford at a traditional venue with hills and streams and an entry of 80 will probably turnout there including most of the norths best risers..

Not the reason really, no-one from Yorks Classic catchment area regularly rides the Miller rounds.

Pre65 entries have been on the decline in the Miller rounds for the last 8 or 9 years, probably for a variety of reasons

then the question has to be why do the riders of the countrys largets pre 65 club not ride the countrys premier pre 65 championship? for my self i ride perhaps 3 a year and have to say that the quality varies last season i rode my trail bike in two rounds the first had no sidecar entries and laid the 'eased sections' out accordinngly i will not ride the trial again. on the flip side i rode a fantastic miller trial ( run by ilkley and district motor club) who ran a perfect trial for all classes and i shall ride again this year as a result.

I doubt riders from Yorks classic (in general) have ever ridden the Miller series. One or two maybe but not large numbers.

The riders have been pretty well the same core of riders who have ridden it year after year, others drop in and out for local rounds, some have gone forever, occassionally some new faces turn out. From my memory it has never been massively supported by large numbers of Pre65 riders and as far as I can remember again, it has always had sidecar and trail bike classes, so obviously those always helped keep the overall number up, although sidecar entries are dwindling.

Why are entries low? Who knows, the sections are fine for all Pre65 bikes, the class structure is a bit strange this year with the British Replica class not being very well defined (even less well supported...) but thhere is a class to enter if you just want a trial to ride in and aren't bothered about winning a championship class.

There are big rigids always present on the easy route, so if it is suitable for them, there isn't much that it isn't going to be suitable for. The sections on the hard route are still fairlly gentle in most cases, occassionally the weather has a hand of which there is little can be done, but usually it is concentration lapses that take marks rather than section difficulty, which is why most of the better Pre65 riders enter the Traditional series, not the Miller.

Difficult to pinpoint any one reason but I am baffled why more Pre65 riders don't enter.

there is something to be taken from the entry list and something that the old bike mart pj1 trials have graspped and that is that by far the largest class is the 'easy route' it is part of the championship in the northen series and 30 plus riders in that class alone is the norm. we've yet to see any pot hunters , just honest enjoyable sections laid out to a standard so that everyone can have a day out but still produce a winner if that 'clubman class were to be capacity split then i suspect the route would be even more well supported

from the results published so far by the ACu i can see 10 yorks classic riders.

Edited by totalshell

It looks like the entries are now almost all in, there are half a dozen sidecars and a good list of fun easy route riders on various machines. 102 in total with a few days still to go.

We must be doing something right to attract so many, it's just a shame that there are so few clasic machines.

If you take a look at the entry list, the classes have been juggled around slightly.

If you are riding, please let me know what you think to the event, we welcome any feedback on all of our trials, remember YOU are the customer, we want our trials to be right for you if possible.

Pete