How To Find Out The Reg?

I have a bike that in 99.9% sure i registered, the chap i got the bike from told me that he never recived the V5 and never chased it as he only used the bike off road, the bike has also done the scottish so there is a good chance a V5 for the bike is floating round in someones draw.

As i dont know the reg number can i still apply with a V62? or is there another way to find out, i cant get dvla on the phone the are ALWAYS too busy :thumbup:

Unless you have the full registration number you can't apply for an existing V5.

DVLA can easily tell from the chassis number whether a vehicle is registered or not but they won't, they'll tell you that their computer system doesn't work that way - I've been through this with them for a bike I knew 100% was registered but I didn't have the V5. When I asked how I was supposed to use it on the road again they said apply for a new registration. When I suggested that surely, if I try to register it as a new registration, it will flag up that that chassis number already has a registration number. They said no it won't to which I thought B*****ks (be a good way to lose a Q plate, but I'll bet that would miraculously flag up...)

There is no legal way to find a reg number from a chassis number, you could try one of the HPI companies to see if they will HPI it against the chassis number and maybe that would reveal the reg number to them but I imagine it would be illegal for them to divulge it.

You may as well try DVLA, writing can be quicker than phoning their call centre..... as things may have changed since I spoke to them a while ago now. Otherwise you are stuck with applying for a new age related registration number - coincidentally worth more to DVLA in monetary terms than just collecting the fee for issuing a replacement V5...

What make of bike is it ?? As Woody said DVLA are a pain to deal with, depending on the make you may get the number from the importer, I did this a few years ago, they may still have records if the bike had a warranty and was registered they may pick the reg up. Things may have tightened up though.

Slightly off topic there has been talk of DVLA charging for sorn (more revenue)

Its a TYZ, so woody probably owned the bike anyway :thumbup: Petrol tank in the frame ect, trials is such a small world that it would not surprise me one bit. Cant belive DVLA phone are still offline, GRRRR

godzilla can you please let me no asap as i am haveing same problem with D.V.L.A trying to put my Montesa on road this year i have the date cert from sandifords. Please can you tell me were you got ur V888 form from as i might give it a try chears :rolleyes:

godzilla can you please let me no asap as i am haveing same problem with D.V.L.A trying to put my Montesa on road this year i have the date cert from sandifords. Please can you tell me were you got ur V888 form from as i might give it a try chears :rotfl:

>V888 LINK<

• 6 months later...

It is possible to find the Registration from the VIN (frame number). I have a Trade HPI account which does it.

I type in the VIN and the report comes back with any information held on the vehicle. If there's no information on that VIN then the result will be "No Records Found".

A couple of points to note:

1. The check runs on the exact number entered - any mixed up/un clear numbers will give a false result.

2. All records held for the vehicle will be returned; make, model, year, reg number, accidents, theft claims, theft reports and sometimes some other bits.

A word of caution. If I HPI a vehicle and it shows up as stolen I'm obliged to call the Police Station dealing with the incident - all other people with a HPI trade account have to do the same. If the bike has been reported stolen and is on the police database they will come asking. If you bought the bike in good faith it's unlikely you'd be charged but the bike could be confiscated.

DVLA, the police and normal HPI check companies won't do a VIN check.

dvla certainly do use the vin. i got a demand to clarify the vin no. of my van after its mot as it differed from the one they had on record. i told them what it was and they sent me out a new v5

They certainly do you're right - but they certainly won't do a VIN check for you if you call them.

very interesting posts there guys... I have the chance of a Trail bike,, its in good nick all numbers are on the bike,,but no reg plate... the guy said it was an import, but it could be stolen as well... its a 82.. is it worth the hassel o finding a reg.. ? if its got a reg an its NOT stolen,, will dvl give me a plate,, or do i need to jump thru other hoops.??? thanks. john

very interesting posts there guys... I have the chance of a Trail bike,, its in good nick all numbers are on the bike,,but no reg plate... the guy said it was an import, but it could be stolen as well... its a 82.. is it worth the hassel o finding a reg.. ? if its got a reg an its NOT stolen,, will dvl give me a plate,, or do i need to jump thru other hoops.??? thanks. john

If it has been previously registered then DVLA will use that number.

If it came back registered and clean all you'd need to do is apply for the log book. DVLA would check with the previous recorded keeper and then, assuming it was all ok, send you the certificate out.

If it came back unregistered and clean you'd have to go through the normal Used Vehicle Registration process.

If it came back stolen, on finance etc then the people with an interest in it are notified - and you'd be best staying clear.

If you don't have it checked and then try to register it you could (will) end up with a problem if it has a dodgy history.

Any Enduro or Trail bike which doesn't have a log book in the current owner's name should be checked. Why would anyone buy a new enduro or trail bike (and pay a premium over a motocross bike) and then not register it for road use? Some enduro bikes don't get registered but most do.

Edited by UKAF

If it has been previously registered then DVLA will use that number.

If it came back registered and clean all you'd need to do is apply for the log book. DVLA would check with the previous recorded keeper and then, assuming it was all ok, send you the certificate out.

If it came back unregistered and clean you'd have to go through the normal Used Vehicle Registration process.

If it came back stolen, on finance etc then the people with an interest in it are notified - and you'd be best staying clear.

If you don't have it checked and then try to register it you could (will) end up with a problem if it has a dodgy history.

Any Enduro or Trail bike which doesn't have a log book in the current owner's name should be checked. Why would anyone buy a new enduro or trail bike (and pay a premium over a motocross bike) and then not register it for road use? Some enduro bikes don't get registered but most do.