Impact Protection

bowershall

I managed to do a comedy fall onto a boulder at walking pace. I was practicing alone and landed on the top of my right thigh.

The entire length of the thigh swole up and it was difficult to walk, let alone ride.

As a result I have lost a weeks riding time.

What are your thoughts on impact gear? I was looking at some of the mtb, snowboarding and rugby stuff, as it appears a good compromise between protection and flexibility.

Any comments, recomedations etc would be great.

Thanks

Gordon

Forcefield is without doubt the best. They sell boarding & horse riding gear too.

She who must be obeyed & I have always used this kit both grasstrack racing & trials.

I use the knees & the shorts & the missus uses the back protector as well since she cracked a vertebrae.

The kit moulds to the body & breathes. You hardly know you have it on even on hot days.

I really have nothing to do with the company just too many years of use, both on & off the bikes!!!

I have bumps scrapes and burns all over me and generally do damage everytime I'm out and I'm generally limping about most weeks. Its all part of the fun. I have a huge burn on my back where I fell off onto my mates bike and burnt my back on his exhaust on sunday

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update.

Got some Animal impact shorts. That's the a*se, thighs and hips covered. (And that's a LOT to cover) :P

Looking at body protection now. Saw another rider using 661 mountain bike gear, looked quite good.

Anyone else use this?

Having seen a few of my mates break bones over the last few months ive invested in a spine guard for practicing. You hardly know its there unless its a really hot day and it also gives me a bit more confidence to fly at things a bit more :P

Interestingly back protectors are mandatory in the Italian championship where they certainly get hot weather.

I know for certain that Fabio Lenzi uses Dianese road bike one and he said it was just a question of getting used to it

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
I'm going to be picking up one of these in the next little bit. I'll post up a review.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/...atalogId=117973

So..................here's my thoughts. IF, I was about 160 lbs and oh say about 5'8" I think this would be a super product. It's very well put together and would be acceptably cool in hot weather. Unfortunatly, I'm built more along the linebacker dimensions (about 6' and 210 lbs) and it fits me pretty much like a training bra. :rolleyes: .

Anyhow, if it will fit you I'd recommend it, but for me the search continues.