Impact Protection

bowershall

Are you going to tie it around yer waist......I thought you was trying to protect yer thighs ? tongue.gif

Just an update.

Got some Animal impact shorts. That's the a*se, thighs and hips covered. (And that's a LOT to cover) smile.gif

Looking at body protection now. Saw another rider using 661 mountain bike gear, looked quite good.

Anyone else use this?

I use an equivalent unit from A*stars, it's got the mesh 'shirt' with all the pads sewn to that. Great protection on elbows, fore arms, shoulders with a removable back protector. I've gone down at 25 mph on super hard dirt with 2-3" rock heads sticking out all over and took one right to the elbow/shoulder. Didn't even feel it really, had on the T-pro shorts and took a shot to the mid, outer thigh; felt it but no bruise..very good pads but the shorts under are tearing now, have to sew on a new set. This was dirt bike riding.

I tried using the body armor once on the trials bike and not again. I'm not doing 6-10 ft rock ledge step ups and don't need a minder for all of what I ride....If you're hitting more agressive stuff you might want to wear it. As to the T-pro shorts I wear them for everything (Dirt bike, trials, SuMo, mountain biking), you barely notice them and you always seem to take a hit to those protected areas whenever you spill. I use Gearne boots with shin/knee puck combo from A*stars and the T-pro shorts for trials; add the body armor for dirt bike. The chest protection on the body armor is light and flexi (zipper runs through it) so it's a little weak on taking heavy roost, most guys I know that use it wear a second, typical 'chest protector' on the outside of it for this. Way too much stuff for trials.

One thing I keep in my mind when near a danger spot (like those rocks that could swallow an ankle...) was something I read on here from Zippy or Copemech (pretty sure) , "...don't hold on, just let the bike go. They're amazingly strong bikes."

I use an equivalent unit from A*stars, it's got the mesh 'shirt' with all the pads sewn to that. Great protection on elbows, fore arms, shoulders with a removable back protector. I've gone down at 25 mph on super hard dirt with 2-3" rock heads sticking out all over and took one right to the elbow/shoulder. Didn't even feel it really, had on the T-pro shorts and took a shot to the mid, outer thigh; felt it but no bruise..very good pads but the shorts under are tearing now, have to sew on a new set. This was dirt bike riding.

I tried using the body armor once on the trials bike and not again. I'm not doing 6-10 ft rock ledge step ups and don't need a minder for all of what I ride....If you're hitting more agressive stuff you might want to wear it. As to the T-pro shorts I wear them for everything (Dirt bike, trials, SuMo, mountain biking), you barely notice them and you always seem to take a hit to those protected areas whenever you spill. I use Gearne boots with shin/knee puck combo from A*stars and the T-pro shorts for trials; add the body armor for dirt bike. The chest protection on the body armor is light and flexi (zipper runs through it) so it's a little weak on taking heavy roost, most guys I know that use it wear a second, typical 'chest protector' on the outside of it for this. Way too much stuff for trials.

One thing I keep in my mind when near a danger spot (like those rocks that could swallow an ankle...) was something I read on here from Zippy or Copemech (pretty sure) , "...don't hold on, just let the bike go. They're amazingly strong bikes."

Well, you are correct there! When things start getting really ugly, best to get away from the bike! Try to exit on the uphill side if on a failed hillclimb by getting the bike sideways first.

The Camelback has offered me some good spinal protection after finding myself on my back! Ass did not hold up as well!

Otherwise, I try to keep the knees and elbows covered, and not get too stupid! :agreed:

Could not have been me............ I always think I can save it if I can just wrap my left leg around the swingarm, get my right leg to hold the exhaust header pipe, and get my hands on that skid plate. I know I can pull it back. :agreed:

a good compromise between protection and flexibility

I find that injuries significantly reduce my flexibility. :agreed:

I wear the same thing on a trials bike as I wear on any dirtbike or while motocrossing. But then riding the 3 Modern Classic line may not require the gymnastic flexibility needed for super advanced stuff, like the 2 line. :beer:

Dressing for the crash and not the ride has worked well for me over the years, so I'm not about to change the practice.

YMMV,

Michael

• 1 month later...

hi,,,my son and i have just changed for the winter from mx....neck brace,,and full body protection,,,,we are still using mx helmets,,until father xmas calls,,from full to none,,,but once we start to try things a little harder we will use the horse riding body armour fits very well under a top...i have had very little time on the trials bike but fallen off more in 2 months than the the last two seasons,,,but find the trials bike 10 times more fun,,,we almost forgot what fun was on the mx,,,,

• 2 weeks later...

I fall off a lot - coz I'm a crap rider but my worst injury was when my son riding behind lost control of his bike and it barreled into me (stationary at the time) and drove me and my bike backwards onto a rocky bank. That happened about 3 months ago and my shoulder is still pretty suspect - I bought the full mesh shirt kit and it works but I feel like an idiot - so I mainly just use the back support, thigh and knee pads and it does give me lot more confidence - but I'm still crap :(