Patrick Speaks

city trials

Patrick asked me to post a note to the trials world. If you'd like to read it, click here.

Good for you, Pat.

With all the external pressure on you I know it must have been a very difficult decision. You're an inspiration for all the riders here and I, for one, support your doing what is best for you 100%.

Jon

can't say that I blame him, if it's no fun then why do it, I would like to see the US more involved with world trials, Pat showed us he has the skills, wish there was enough support to do a full schedule, all I can say is good luck Pat and thanks for going over there and representing the US and showing Europe we can ride trials too.

Ah Pat, no problem. One of the things I tell the young 'uns here in New England when I see them looking way too serious at an event or see parents and coaches pushing too hard is it's just a game. If I see them ten years from now in a supermarket pushing a shopping cart with a couple of kids in it and they look healthy and happy I'm completely satisfied with their trials career. You have mad skills but at the same time trials is still a game and you must look out for Patrick first. One of the things I most respect about Geoff Aaron is he sacrificed a few championships to finish his education.

Do what's best for yourself, the world will continue on just fine. Looking forward to seeing you in Rhode Island.

It has been a long time but I am sure the exact same words came out of my mouth after several attempts at competing in Europe. At least now there is more than 1 class so there is a better chance of some initial success. Maybe the difference is we view Trials as a sport we do for fun and it is much more serious over there. Also, the Europeans are much more comfortable with the different cultures as they are exposed to them for their whole life. It takes a very unique American to make the switch. I understand and respect Pat's decision, as much as I would like to see the US have a rider over there.

Mark

Thanks for the story Craig. I've headlined it as the previous headline was also about Pat. It's a real shame the way things have worked out, but he's totally right. If he's not enjoying it then why should he do it? The travel is bad enough for me who is mostly only going from the UK to mainland Europe without the transatlantic stuff, jetlag and the cultural changes which it was obvious he struggled with.

Fair play to the lad for being up-front and honest about it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the story Craig. I've headlined it as the previous headline was also about Pat. It's a real shame the way things have worked out, but he's totally right. If he's not enjoying it then why should he do it? The travel is bad enough for me who is mostly only going from the UK to mainland Europe without the transatlantic stuff, jetlag and the cultural changes which it was obvious he struggled with.

Fair play to the lad for being up-front and honest about it. :rolleyes:

You're welcome, Andy. Pat pays attention to the comments posted here (and elsewhere), and was man enough to pony-up a response to your readers and his fans. But don't expect him to reply to every rumor or bit of gossip posted as to his whereabouts or his intentions. That's just not his style.

I'm glad he's enjoying life again. Now we can all go back to just going to events and just "have fun", without the ton of pressure of pleasing others. After all, isn't that what it should be all about?

I'm glad he's enjoying life again. Now we can all go back to just going to events and just "have fun", without the ton of pressure of pleasing others. After all, isn't that what it should be all about?

Its a tough one this. I for one feel that if someone is gifted with a talent, its a travesty not to use it. There hasn't been anyone in US trials for years with this much talent, so to know it has the potential to become world class but its not, is very disappointing :rolleyes: But saying that, if Pat doesn't want to do it, then there's no point but its still a shame.

Edited by AtomAnt

I agree with Copey for a change here. It would be good to see him at the SSDT in 2011. This is a tough event and different from anything he's probably ridden before but its a laid back week of riding if that's the way you approach it. Just look at Caby. He came over with mates rode very well but for fun and seemed to enjoy it. Its a week he'd never forget. The culture change would be easy as would most of the language but I'd have to say the local culture if that's what you'd call in Fort William is still very different even for me and I'm from the north east of scotland. How about the US dream team Copey, Ishy and Pat. Dream for Copey and Ishy, nightmare for Pat.

Its a tough one this. I for one feel that if someone is gifted with a talent, its a travesty not to use it.

For whom Ian? Us or him? It's his life. Let him lead it in any way he wishes (as long as it doesn't interfere with me).

Good luck Pat. Keep riding and have fun

Well, Patrick did not have to say anything to "satisfy the masses". So good show by him speaking his mind and stating his position.

Some one mentioned we (Americans) view Trials as a "Fun" sport. So if it becomes a Job for the rider it does not take long before it is not just fun. Now it is work. (The following is pure conjecture on my part but proves my point) Pat may not wish to have Trials as his career, he may be going to college for a degree in something, and Trials is what he does as a hobby and for fun. He does ride very well and is very skilled.

Would have been nice for an American in the WTC again, but it is not meant to be yet.

But an entry in the SSDT would be a news worthy event. Pat you could ride your bike for 6, that is SIX, days in a row, Damn that sounds like fun.

For whom Ian? Us or him? It's his life. Let him lead it in any way he wishes (as long as it doesn't interfere with me).

Good luck Pat. Keep riding and have fun

For him. But like i said, if he doesnt want to do it then theres no point. Just a waste - Funny how nature deals its cards...

I wish life was all about having fun but it aint for most, but having the talent to achieve something big and then doing it beats all I think. Just look at the face of Alexz on the photos of him winning the SSDT. says it all ....

IMHO :rolleyes:

Edited by AtomAnt

Yes it would be nice to have an american rider in the wtc butIt would also be nice for a world round to come back to the US. The regulations make it where we probably wont see one for some time.