Problems Staring Hot 280 Pro

gizgrey

have a 2004 280 pro which is getting a pain to start when warmed up,starts 2nd or 3rd kick when cold,sometimse second kick when hot,most times it takes about 10 kicks to get going,have cleaned air filter,cleaned carb and jets,new plug,even tried changing my fuel additive oil,still the same,its a bit of a pain specially when your in the water or a steep banking,it used to fire up with the choke when hot but this aint helping now...

also the kickstart keeps biting onto peg, is starting to eat through the kickstart...any help would be much appretiated

Gday, does it seem harder to start if it has been sitting for 5 minutes or so? Like when you are waiting in the queue before riding a section, or is it hard to start always when it is hot?

Cheers,

Stork

Gday, does it seem harder to start if it has been sitting for 5 minutes or so? Like when you are waiting in the queue before riding a section, or is it hard to start always when it is hot?

Cheers,

Stork

seems if you switch off for couple mins its hard to start sometimes it may start easy enough,but usually a real pain

Gday, that sounds like hot soak then. This happens to pretty much all engines. Basically what happens is the heat from the engine while sitting for a couple of minutes evaporates some fuel from the carb and makes a rich mixture in the manifold. For this hot start, just crack the throttle open about 1/4, which lets more air in to balance the mixture. It should start much easier after that.

Cheers,

Stork

Gday, that sounds like hot soak then. This happens to pretty much all engines. Basically what happens is the heat from the engine while sitting for a couple of minutes evaporates some fuel from the carb and makes a rich mixture in the manifold. For this hot start, just crack the throttle open about 1/4, which lets more air in to balance the mixture. It should start much easier after that.

Cheers,

Stork

will give this ago tonight...hopefully it will work..

I feel for you gizgrey. I had a 05 Pro 300 and had exactly the same problem. What really pee'd me off was that it ran beautifully but could I start the bugger when it was warm...... no chance. I was also told stories of changing the float height in the carb because of fuel evaporating , I also tried a bigger choke jet but still no luck.

Once I had eliminated every thing fuel related I started looking at the electrics starting at the plug, plug lead, pickup sensor on the stator even eventually trying a new CDI and voltage regulator. But still no better. I ended up getting the stator rewound, as new it would cost over

I feel for you gizgrey. I had a 05 Pro 300 and had exactly the same problem. What really pee'd me off was that it ran beautifully but could I start the bugger when it was warm...... no chance. I was also told stories of changing the float height in the carb because of fuel evaporating , I also tried a bigger choke jet but still no luck.

Once I had eliminated every thing fuel related I started looking at the electrics starting at the plug, plug lead, pickup sensor on the stator even eventually trying a new CDI and voltage regulator. But still no better. I ended up getting the stator rewound, as new it would cost over

hmm thanks for that i will try the throttle trick if no luck i will get the staitor done,would a 250 pro one be the same my mate has a 2005 bike lying in his shed i could borrow that one and try it..

thanks again

You can check its the same by checking the CDI under the tank/steering head. If they are both Ducati or Kocusan you could do a swap.

Cheers

was out on bike over weekend started fine all weekend,was a bugger once took about 8 kicks but rest of time was fine 2nd kick away it went,was wondering if it could be water getting into something when i am powerwashing it...

right defo something to do with dampness,was playing in a burn and wouldnt start again for around 20-25 kicks....

got it home and took of stator casing(black plastic one on gear change side)flywheel was pretty damp noticed before i took of there was a gap between casing and engine,gave it all a good spray with wd40 and put back on with some silicon smeared around to seal it,hopefully this will cure it...i will post up if it does after i go back down the river with it...

• 2 weeks later...

just to recap on this problem,after sealing up stator casing bike seems to be starting fine,been out twice started ok all day even when in water,there was a couple of times it was reluctant to start but a flick of the chock seemed to start it ok,so hopefully it will be okay.....and wont need to keep it running all day...

• 4 weeks later...

update on this problem,still is a bugger to start now and then,not as bad as it was,i think cleaning and sealing up stator has done it abit of good,will put up with it just now as only does it now and again and will get it rewound in the winter months..