Gas Gas Gear Change Hesitation

whackywoody

Hi,

At the Gerald Simpson Trial ( :thumbup: ) at the weekend I noticed on the moor crossings that my Gas Gas Raga 250cc (08) was a hesitating when selecting gear. In other words if accelerating hard or travelling at speeds when changing gears it would take a short while for the gear to select after the clutch has been disengaged, this was more noticeable going up through the gears rather than down through the gears. I have never really noticed before as it doesn't seem to be a problem in the lower gears (1st, 2nd and 3rd) only in the higher gears. I have spoken to the importer and he tells me there is a jump between the high gears but I wouldn't expect this jump to be so big that my weight shifts forward due to the delay (my body is expecting more high acceleration). Is it possible I have a worn gear selector??

I would appreciate any of you thoughts to try and solve this

Thanks

If it appears to change gear better going up the box than down, or vice versa, then the adjuster behind the clutch could need a tweak.

GG USA have a video on youtube showing this.

It's a fiddy proceedure, but should cure it.

If it appears to change gear better going up the box than down, or vice versa, then the adjuster behind the clutch could need a tweak.

GG USA have a video on youtube showing this.

It's a fiddy proceedure, but should cure it.

Thanks for the responses so far

1.) Yes it does seem to do it more going up the gears rather than down the gears - so I will look at the video

2.) I will try changing gear without the clutch to see if clutch is slipping but not sure it is the clutch slipping as I know that if I was to try and move from stationary when the bike in 3rd or 4th gear it would stall rather than the clutch slipping

Thanks again

Thanks for the responses so far

1.) Yes it does seem to do it more going up the gears rather than down the gears - so I will look at the video

2.) I will try changing gear without the clutch to see if clutch is slipping but not sure it is the clutch slipping as I know that if I was to try and move from stationary when the bike in 3rd or 4th gear it would stall rather than the clutch slipping

Thanks again

This sounds like an adjusting of the shift centering spring under the clutch would probably fix the problem. The other possibilities are a damaged roller assembly inside the shift drum or a bent shift fork, but the centering spring adjustment should be the first step.

I would not recommend shifting the transmission without using the clutch. Trials transmissions are designed to stay in gear and not be shifted under load.

Jon

When was gearbox oil last changed.

My experience in enduroing KTM 300 for several years was to change gearbox oil after a 2 day event as it 'freshened up' shifting. Just a brief 'nudge' and it would pick up next gear no probs.

I've a 2001 TXT 200 which also 'appears' to benefit from regular gearbox oil changes at 8/10 week intervals.

What type of oil in gearbox.

I've used Putoline GP10 synthetic gearbox oil in every bike I've had for nearly 20 years without a single gearbox or clutch problem.

Thats why I've never changed brand and still use it!!

Appreciate that yours has a different clutch to my 2001 TXT 200.

However, I've just done the Beta mod on the fibre plate tangs (no glue probs with gasgas) as descibed in excellent article in Beta section along with my own mods of 'roughing up' metal plates and removing couple of springs. It has noticably improved all aspects of clutch action so.... highly delighted!!

Again I can only refer to 2001 TXT 200 which can set off on concrete surface incline in 4th gear no probs.... clutch slips and feeds in perfectly then bites and 'locks up'.

To me looks like your clutch is not working properly therefore causing load on gears hence shifting problems.... more noticable going up box.

I would have expected your size engine to pull off in 4th easily ..... which again points to clutch not working.

For what its worth........ only takes time a small outlay ........ Yorkshire men & money ....... I'd try Beta mod + rough up metal plates + GP10 oil.

Not familiar with your type of clutch but assume that it must have some fibre and steel plates running in gearbox oil.

I assume that your master cylinder / lever position is set correctly before you start doing anything - Important.

Agree with comment regarding shifting gasgas box under load...not a practice I would adopt except ...in dire emergency

Hope this helps

david