Swm 320 Ignition Timing

chrisb7

I am in the process of rebuilding the engine on my 1982 320TL. Everything was going fine until I came to setting the ignition timing. I know that it should be between 2.6 and 2.8 BTDC but I can't rotate the stator plate enough to achieve this. Can someone help by taking me through the process for setting the ignition timing as I am probably making an elementary mistake!

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris

Try this to get you started.

1. Before all else....double check your flywheel key, they have a habit if shearing, which will spin the flywheel on the shaft, throwing any timing out.

2. Make sure you have the stator plate in the correct position..points at the top, condenser at the bottom.

3. Set the plate so the bolts are in the middle of the adjusting slot.

4. Set points so that you see them slightly opening as you turn it over TDC. Do this while you have the plug out and resting on the head.

5. If you are getting a fat blue spark, stick the plug back in, and it should fire up. If no spark, open the points up fractionally, until you see a spark.

If it runs OK, leave well alone...if not check the settings using the guages.

If you are still getting problems, give me a call.

Cheers

Martin

Edited by MartinM