'club Foot' Silencer - Repacking?

smelling123

Hi,

Ive just repacked the middle silencer on my 190 by cutting it open, repacking then mig welding back up.

Does anyone know if the back silencer (which ive heard refered to as 'club foot') has packing or not? If so where is it located - in the first upward section or in the big box at the back??

many thanks for any help.

cheers

Stu

In the first section but not all the way up to the box, only up to the point where it is level with the front of the shock.

The box has baffles in it - about 7 of them as well as a cross over from one side to the other. It's unlikely you'll need to open this up.

There is no packing in there, only baffle plates, so the most it could do is let out any oily deposit that has built up. In those I have cut open so far there hasn't been any, they've been dry.

Thanks Davieboy, re-doing the middle section made it a lot quieter, so Im going to do the back section based on your and Woodys advice. I used the old caustic soda mix to get the carbon out of the header pipe and square box - couldn't believe how much sh*te came out - but I guess it is 30 years old...