2010 290 Wont Start

basher

went to my first competition in years today but things dint go to plan with the bike. first of all i left the choke on and went off riding after about a couple of min the bike cut out and wouldnt start. i thought it must have beggered the plug up running rich so changed the plug which was alittle black. eventually i got it to start but not striaght away. now it ran fine for a lap and abit, but then it cut out in away as if it was starved of fuel. and then it was game over for the comp.

now im putting it down to crap in carb, has anyone else got any ideas? im going to fit and inline filter before fuel pump and see if this cures the problem. but wondered if anyone else has had this happen or has any ideas.

Edited by basher

Check the breather pipe routing under the rear mudguard.

Remove the fuel cap and blow through the tank breather pipe. It should blow through easily. I find the pipe if not routed correctly gets nipped.

I have now fitted some rigid clear pipe instead of the rubber pipe. It has a smaller outside diameter so can't get squashed as easily.

There's already a filter screen in the carb banjo that's the equal of a cheap inline filter.

Check that the vacuum pipe to the fuel pump hasn't been nipped

I saw this type of problem over the weekend, the tank breather was plugged with mud quite a way up. The dealer who was there reckoned that the breather needs 8inches cut off it to stop the problem reoccuring

Just a thought

The early 03 models had a problem INSIDE the tank. The pickup tube from the tap was too long, cutting out fuel if heavy demand occured ( a burst up a longish climb )

There was a Sherco warning on the matter

^^^ it uses a fuel pump so that shouldnt be an issue really

i havnt had chance to look yet but im thinking it could be the tank breath as mines routed as standard, but ive also had the tank off so i could of nippid it by accident refitting it. ill post up if i find the problem to help others in the future.

Just a thought

The early 03 models had a problem INSIDE the tank. The pickup tube from the tap was too long, cutting out fuel if heavy demand occured ( a burst up a longish climb )

There was a Sherco warning on the matter

Booting it up a big climb sends the fuel back down towards the tap,where you need it but...Call me ''Mr. Picky'', the long stem was more of a problem on long downhills with a low fuel load, I know this from previous bitter experience when I went ar5e over t** and faceplanted on a real long 'twitchy' descent...That sound of the bike leaning off and revving by itself still haunts me, I was bloody gorgeous before that accident :P ....Ezmeralda??

pritty sure ive found the problem. i found to intent lines on my tank breath so i must have screwed the mudguard down on it. which is really easy to do with how its routed. so ive moved it to go down inbetween tank and exhuast and cut it there so it cant be nipped and no longer comes out the bottom of bike so less likely to be blocked. also fitted a fuel filter as a caution.

its a silly easy mistake to make with the way its routed and something anyone with this bike should look out for. as its not usually something you think of when screwing a mudguard down.