Well, As Promised!

copemech

:bouncy: ...more merlins, around me all day, I'm beginning to like this gardening malarky.

Quiz time, just for fun;

Today, these birds flew around my garden:

Hurricane Mk2

Lancaster

Catalina

Spitfire

Buchon ( Spanish Me109)

P51 Mustang.

How many Merlins were there?

I would have to ck the specs, as memory fails, but, Hurricane-1

Lanc, possibly 4

Cat-0

Spit-1

Buch-0

Stang-1(late model)

So 7 I would guess!

So in return, FiFi flew over the shop the other day at low level, made a hellatious noise, question was "How many cylinders was That?"

The same as Bockscar and Enola Gay I suppose...four..pratt and witneys or wright cyclone, I get them mixed up.

The Merlin question was a doozy, the Me109 Buchon is fitted with one, how ironic, I hope Goerring is spinning in his grave :hyper:

The same as Bockscar and Enola Gay I suppose...four..pratt and witneys or wright cyclone, I get them mixed up.

The Merlin question was a doozy, the Me109 Buchon is fitted with one, how ironic, I hope Goerring is spinning in his grave :hyper:

I should have recalled that fact! I started to look-up but it was too late!

Are there any Allison powered 'Stangs running about? Depending, we may be at a tie!

Edited by copemech

• 1 month later...

I should have recalled that fact! I started to look-up but it was too late!

Are there any Allison powered 'Stangs running about? Depending, we may be at a tie!

We didn't call a 'Stang a Stang until it had a Merlin fitted, I think we called the Allison P-51 an Apache? :icon_salut:

• 9 months later...

My senses tell me this is not the case, the yaw is just to slow the aircraft, yet it cannot fly below stall speed in level flight.

Stall speed is not a number, but an enigma based upon wing loading and angle of incident.. Thus, an aircraft can stall at any speed or any attitude. In other words, at 3 G, stall speed increases greatly!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

I stumbled across this article re:Junior Burchinal’s school in Paris, Texas.

A bit dated, yet this fellow was the first to give me the bug and take me flying as a kid. We did the little Cessnas though, I even recall my grama's going up with us once in a 172/182? Her first flight of her life.

He lived the life! Good read for future pilots!

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepMustangBurch.html