Jake's Rant

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No PR stunt - with all due respect we do not struggle to get coverage of our causes!

I am genuinely fed up of people speaking out when they do not know what they are talking about especially when they are high profile individuals who have not been to a World Trial since Hawkstone 2007. People are not forced to come to Fort William there are other GPs they can visit, but they at least need to visit a couple of events before talking as if they are informed. As for PR stunts they are to come, along with some pretty big announcements.... So watch this space for some real PR!

Sorry Jake just re-read your article again and maybe I am just synical but most of it is PR and justifying your case to make comment and promote your own event - or is the timing of these profound words a coincidence??????

My point is that there is nothing really new in what you are saying - if the C of C gets it right its a good trial if not its crap. Just stakes are higher and the spotlight greater the higher up the chain the event is.

Everybody knows Mart, you and gang know what is required,

Most riders know the good events from club level up.

Trouble is top riders don't have the choice of where to ride and are paid big money to go there. Most organisers are part time or voluntary.

Maybe time for a profesional C of C or FIM representative with some power.

I know FIM have a represenative this year - Bosis I recall but BTC definately don't

paid big money to go there.

Toni and Fuji maybe, with the Honda machine behind them. I think you'll find the rest (even Raga) would disagree with you on that one! :P

Apologies Jimmy - but I think you have missed the main point of my piece, perhaps my message was to subtle in it's approach? Anway what's the BTC got to do with it? Last time I checked they were not using FIM rules?

"I think you have missed the main point of my piece, perhaps my message was to subtle in it's approach?"

Not sure what the subtle point was but I (and probably every one else) read it that based upon the vast experience you will be again be putting on the best world round in a superb location and whatever rules the FIM have conjoured up this year Martin and Co will address these and still do a fantastic job and the organisation and planning will be superb as previous.

So please come along

Sorry if I missed the hidden points and good luck to all

i think what G2F Do for trials is outstanding and it cannot be taken away from them the effort put in to stage a world round. You have an option either go or dont. First and foremost people will vote with there feet. Would love to know jakes opinions after the event on attendance/running of the event because theres no doubt the venue is spot on, and bottom line is G2F is a well known business so i dont think jakes gone into this light hearted. Yes its got fantastic scenery, great infrastructure to hold an event. Im not going and i will happily say my reason is when i can jump on a plane 1 hour from my home and travel to a european round only a couple of hours away and have a foreign break (Trip away from the wife lol) its quicker for me than drivin to scotland and not much shorter than going abroad. Good luck jake and for been so passionate about the sport to hold an event and hope you have every success with the event.

I spoke to Jake today after I received the article, but before I posted it and yup, like Jimmy I was cynical. Is this a genuine rant or is it a thinly disguised attempt to promote your world round event? I do believe it is actually a rant - or as close to a rant as Jake can come to. Remember he's in the business and there is only so much he can say. I'm sure, without the constraints of his business there would be a lot more!

I've seen what he's saying on here myself - Folk criticising the World Championship who I know have never been to a World Championship round. I've done the majority of World rounds with Jake since G2F Media and Trials Central teamed up back in 2005 (blimey is it really that long ago!) taking us from the UK all over Europe to Duluth in the USA and TTC in Tennessee to Japan and all over coming back again (okay we both missed Guatemala deliberately because neither of us fancied being shot at!) but we've travelled a lot together, we've heard the criticisms and we've laughed at the armchair critics. I can totally see his point and can totally see his "rant" as being justified, albeit mellowed somewhat...

One of the issues I see with WTC is the remoteness from what we all see as trials and that's off putting however it shouldn't stop you supporting the UK round.

Sectiononecleaner kinda summed it up, when you can get on a plane and go to a overseas round why would you want to spend hours in the car getting Fort William or Hawkestone, it's a difficult choice. I can't comment really because I haven't been at a WTC round for a long time, Bilstain in the late 90's I think, but we should try to support these rounds in the UK because if we don't eventually the promoters like Jake and Martin chuck in the towel because it's too expensive to stage a round. Then we'd bemoan the fact that there isn't a round in the UK - no win situation!!

What is certain is that the COC is the man who makes or breaks the trial, someone earlier mentioned egos, if the COC's ego is such that he wants to make a trial viciously hard to see the winner losing a stack of marks then he shouldn't be there. One thing is for sure, I'm excited about the trial because I'm pretty certain it'll be a belter.

"Whilst much has been blamed on the new rules introduced this year, the simple fact is that whatever the sport, there are good and bad events. Over the last two decades the sport of trials has gone through a number changes with regard to the rules, but it is not these that determine the success of the event both from the riders

well i'm going along with my three kids and am looking forward to it, even with a 450 mile drive, this is only our second wtc event, carlisle last year being the first so i'm no expert but i am a bit peed off with people i know saying they're not going because it will be crap, if you go somewhere thinking it's going to be crap, it probably will be because you have already made you're mind up, on a slight tangent i don't see people on here saying the ssdt should be moved further south to make it easier to get to! perhaps thats just me being a bit dumb confusing two entirely different events with the same problems? anyway hope everybody that is there enjoys it :P