Clutch Rod

sunny

I have a question that I am sure one of you could answer. I purchused a basket case Bultaco M159 a while back and have since got it going with all of your collective help. The only trouble has been adjusting the clutch I have tried every possible adjustment and I can not get the clutch to 100% completely disengage (almost but not quite). It has the ball, mushroom and the bearing installed and when in gear runs well and does not slip but is difficult to shift without grinding. The clutch basket is the "pin style" which might be incorrect but it was the only one in the pile of parts.

Is it possible the clutch rod was from the Matador that was part of the package and would not push the clutch far enough away to disengage? My basic question I guess is how long should the rod be for an m159?

Oct172009001.jpg

Oct302009010.jpg

The rod length varies on different Sherpa models. Can't tell you the length of the 159 but Hugh's Bultaco, or whatever they're called now, should be able to give you the information/correct part.

If you search either the Bultaco or Twinshock forums you'll find a very good article from John Collins on how to set the clutch up. It would be worthwhile looking this up to make sure your set up is correct. I'm pretty sure the pin type basket is correct for the 159. Again, Hugh's should be able to confirm.

Also, make sure the pins are straight as some look a bit bent and off centre in the photo. If they are it will stop the pressure plate releasing correctly which will cause drag. They straighten easily if needs be.

Might not be relevant but every Bultaco i've had was a bu66er to get into neutral due to chutch drag. It is a fault with Bultacos and needs very very very careful adjustment and set up of the clutch plates, spring tension, oil etc etc to eliminate. Alegedly the new plates from Bultaco UK help but havent tried yet so cant say.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the data. I will check length and diameter. I hope I can get something simular at the metal supermarket. I missed a $100 (Can) Bultaco on Craigslist List the other night in Vancouver BC. Anyone here pick it up?

Sunny