Seat Height

kramit

Does the seat height or lack of a seat at all have anything to do with Trials Bike Sales or the Popularity of the Sport. I was looking at my sons 2010 Sherco and my '76 Honda TL 250 and thinking. After deciding to hang up my MX Boots in 1975, I decided to give Observed Trials a try although I had never attended an event. But upon deciding to purchase a TL 250, I figured it would make a great trail bike if Observed Trials wasn't for me. I was hooked after my first event. But I am just wondering if the lack of a basic seat on newer models turns people off as current Trials Bikes look too specialized. When I watch new riders ride a modern Trials Bike for the first time, I can't get over how clumsy they look regardless of their riding ability/experience. Mostly they are standing as sitting is not much of an option if you are to have your feet on the pegs and want to shift and brake. People who are into the sport know how to live with these inconveniences, but someone who is considering a modern Trials Bike may not. After all, you need a Trials Bike to participate in the sport, but for the casual newbie who wants to have the ultimate trail bike, a Trials Bike my not be his first choice.

Does the seat height or lack of a seat at all have anything to do with Trials Bike Sales or the Popularity of the Sport. I was looking at my sons 2010 Sherco and my '76 Honda TL 250 and thinking. After deciding to hang up my MX Boots in 1975, I decided to give Observed Trials a try although I had never attended an event. But upon deciding to purchase a TL 250, I figured it would make a great trail bike if Observed Trials wasn't for me. I was hooked after my first event. But I am just wondering if the lack of a basic seat on newer models turns people off as current Trials Bikes look too specialized. When I watch new riders ride a modern Trials Bike for the first time, I can't get over how clumsy they look regardless of their riding ability/experience. Mostly they are standing as sitting is not much of an option if you are to have your feet on the pegs and want to shift and brake. People who are into the sport know how to live with these inconveniences, but someone who is considering a modern Trials Bike may not. After all, you need a Trials Bike to participate in the sport, but for the casual newbie who wants to have the ultimate trail bike, a Trials Bike my not be his first choice.

I think you are correct, yet it seems there is not much in the way of an entry level bike out there. The closest thing that comes to mind would be a Scorpa Long Ride, which is a sweet bike. Hopefully there will be some new ones before long.

Being an old git from your era myself, I am spoiled on a modern bike now. Even an old bike with a seat is not of any comfort as the positioning is still odd. One can just as easily find a perch spot on the rear mudguard of a new bike, yet that has little to do with the awkward perception of a new rider.

If you can ride a TL 250, even a well done TY would feel like a feather! And as I say all that, I will tell you also that I have indeed considered going to a vintage bike over and over, yet cannot bring myself to do it, as by comparison they are just too much baggage! :P

I recently overheard 3 Enduro riders talking to each other about the trials bike they were looking at. All of them agreed that they couldn't stand up on the pegs for more than 20 or 30 minutes, much less all day. I think for guys like this thinking about transitioning into Trials, no seat may be a big deal. It takes quite awhile for most dirt bike riders to feel comfortable standing up at slow speed. There isn't the same fun factor with Trials that you experience on a go-fast bike the first time you sit down and gas it. Trials is an aquired taste, not sure how much a seat would really help develop that. How well did the Long Ride sell, and I wonder how many entered the sport because of it?

Rich

. After all, you need a Trials Bike to participate in the sport,

No you don't, novice lines at most club events can be ridden on a well set up trail bike. If the lines are too tough for a good trailbike then that club will have a hard time attracting beginning riders. If I can't clean a novice line on my XR 250, I modify it so I can, or throw it out.

Edited by motovita

No you don't, novice lines at most club events can be ridden on a well set up trail bike. If the lines are too tough for a good trailbike then that club will have a hard time attracting beginning riders. If I can't clean a novice line on my XR 250, I modify it so I can, or throw it out.

You could also enter a Flat Track Race on a MX Bike, but nobody does.........

I guess my point is that Trials Bikes have become too specialized. A minimum seat height would bring Trials Bikes back into the mainstream as far as ergonomics and a bike that the newbie may be attracted too, but could the Trials Community accept this as a standard?

I've done it, as have many of my friends. We changed only our rear tires. Another friend did quite well short tracking his Trials bike.

I guess my point is that Trials Bikes have become too specialized. A minimum seat height would bring Trials Bikes back into the mainstream as far as ergonomics and a bike that the newbie may be attracted too, but could the Trials Community accept this as a standard?

no

All I can say is when I got my little Yam XT 225, I thought it might actually do a few novice sections. All I can say in recallection is that the top heavy lump is no DT-175 from days of old!!!!! And I ain't draggin the thing around a trials course!

I like the little bike though, it is not good at anything, but will do a bit of everything, and is fun on trails and tight swistie roads!

XT 225

Your Yamaha must be defective! You should return it to your dealer for warranty repairs.

No, just a defective rider, but I do need someone to take some still pics, just so I can lie and tell folks I am actually balancing on the thing! ^_^

Thats quite a pipe guard on the KTM!

In general I've found that air cooled dirt bikes are preferable for Trials competition as the wide radiators get in the way of the rider as well as limit avalable steering lock. They also make the bike look wide which I find distracting and make the bike more top heavy.

But I still say run what ya brung.

• 1 month later...

"You could also enter a Flat Track Race on a MX Bike, but nobody does........."

I think current AMA dirt track classes are mostly MX bikes (OEM frame required) with shortened suspensions. They seem to be discouraging people from building "framers".

I tried a 3/8" mile short track on my 125 Maico and decided that MX and trials were better sports for me. :rolleyes:

Bultaco sold a fair number of Alpinas back in the day, and that was basically a Sherpa T with bigger tank/seat and a wide ratio gearbox.

cheers,

Michael