Ty80 Fork Dismantling

maxyboy

My son bought an old TY80 and needed to replace the fork seals. The bike is somewhere between a 1976 and 1982 model. To cut a long story short the fork seals are ancient and pretty much stuck in the forks. During our trying to get them out the top of the seal has come away and try as we might we cant get the bottom part of the seal out. My plan is now to take the forks completely apart in order to release the damaged seal. Do I need a fork damper tool and if so is there a specific one for this bike? If not, how do I take the forks apart. I saw there was a posting back in 2007 but it seemed untried on a TY80 and I dont want to cause any damage. Any help would be greatfully received. Thanks.

This is not the answer you are looking for but.... If you end up not able to remove the seal I have several sets of TY80 forks (all would probably need seals). Your profile doesn't give a location - I'm in NC in the US. Send me a an email if you need another set and we'll work something out.

Alan

Support bike , remove front wheel and fender , Remove bolt on top of yoke in each fork tube , remove small drain bolt at bottom of slider ,drain oil , loosen pinch bolt in bottom yoke , slide fork legs down and out of yoke , remove dust seals from sliders , On early models unscrew seal retainer , on later models remove snap ring and washer , Clamp slider in vice with soft jaws . Now comes the fun part ! (ty80's only!)

compress fork leg completly and pull out sharply with a slidehammer type action , it may take a few tries but the fork tube will come out of the slider with the seal and bushes . Replace seal and reassemble , refill each leg with 85cc of fork oil , and have fun !!

Good luck !

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

• 8 years later...
On 6/23/2010 at 3:57 AM, axulsuv said:

Support bike , remove front wheel and fender , Remove bolt on top of yoke in each fork tube , remove small drain bolt at bottom of slider ,drain oil , loosen pinch bolt in bottom yoke , slide fork legs down and out of yoke , remove dust seals from sliders , On early models unscrew seal retainer , on later models remove snap ring and washer , Clamp slider in vice with soft jaws . Now comes the fun part ! (ty80's only!)

compress fork leg completly and pull out sharply with a slidehammer type action , it may take a few tries but the fork tube will come out of the slider with the seal and bushes . Replace seal and reassemble , refill each leg with 85cc of fork oil , and have fun !!

Good luck !

Glenn

Any pointers on safely removing the bottom Phillips head screw which secures the inside damper? Worried about damaging its head and then needing to extract the remains. 

Also, any device to put into the tube to secure so as to be able unscrew and later tighten a new bolt?

thank you. 

3 hours ago, b40rt said:

Remove fork from bike, with cap and spring still in place turn fork upside down. Put light pressure to compress fork. Loosen screw. 

Perfect. I’ll give this a try. 

What are good replacement washers? Since these are no longer available from Yamaha.