Montesa Cota 350 1982

stichillist

I have a very tidy 350 Cota with the grey frame and "banana" swinging arm. The paint on the tank has inevitably bubbled because of the ability of fuel to weep through the tank material. I understand the tank is made from a kind of nylon but It seems to be self coloured a dull orange. I am guessing that if I strip the paint I might be able to polish the plastic. It wouldn't be right but I think it might be better than the anaglypta finish I have at the moment. Can anyone help?

Colin Shaughnessy

Some had plastic, some had fibreglass. If yours is plastic it wouldn't have been painted from the factory, they were just the colour of the dye/moulding.

It's more likely the paint has bubbled as someone has probably used aerosol paint on it. Modern paints are far more advanced than what used to be available and if painted by a professional who knows what they're doing with different materials, it should last - Plastic primer, elastic/stretch additives etc. I had a plastic Bultaco tank painted about 3 years ago and there are no bubbles. A mate's 240 Fantic has a tank that was painted more than 10 years ago - no bubbles. Personally, I think it is bad preparation and wrong type of paint that causes the bubbling rather than petrol fumes but that is just my opinion.

I have a very tidy 350 Cota with the grey frame and "banana" swinging arm. The paint on the tank has inevitably bubbled because of the ability of fuel to weep through the tank material. I understand the tank is made from a kind of nylon but It seems to be self coloured a dull orange. I am guessing that if I strip the paint I might be able to polish the plastic. It wouldn't be right but I think it might be better than the anaglypta finish I have at the moment. Can anyone help?

Colin Shaughnessy

Sounds like a Montesa honda tank painted white mine is self coloured dul orange and is made from roto-molded plastic and it does not leak