Engine Mounts

tom2010

Both engine mounts, the ones from the head to the frame on my 98 beta techno, are broken where they bolt on at the top. Are they expensive to buy? or does anyone have any old ones lying around??

Also re: electrics. There is a black box, looks like a relay, but only has one yellow wire going out of it, and doesn't look like anything is missing off it :s what is it?!

thanks

Edited by Tom2010

cheers :crying: so should a live be going to that?

from what i can gather from the bodged wiring on my bike it seems as though2 of the wires in the fans circuit go to earth :s and then the regulator was connected to another wire which in turn wasn't connected to anything :s

had a look at the wiring diagram and it is of no use!

the wiring on technos are a nightmare - its no wonder they go wrong :crying:

on my 97 the yellow wire is AC+ from the stator, it goes to the rectifier the other side of the rectifier goes to the thermostat and then onto earth. there are two other wires from the rectifier which are + and - 12v dc which goes to the fan.

in other words when the engine gets hot the thermostat completes the AC circuit from the rectifier to earth, this in turn allows DC12v to goto the fan.

not so sure on your bike as my one does NOT use a regulator and uses LEONELLI electrics instead of Ducatti, also on my one the rectifier is actually a whetston bridge rectifier with a 1000uf cap across the DC to smooth it out ( seriously there just bare components with insulating tape around them).

it worried me so i emailed steve Hardaker (this man is seriously good at beta electrics) who is currently rewinding my stator and he said that this is the way it should be .

sorry i cant be more help as its hard to picture it in my mind and is more than likely different to my one.

Edited by nevilletanner

Thanks for that, i've been sent a basic wiring diagram by lampkins and got a little bit further with it, wired the live from the flywheel to the voltage regulator,

could just do with knowing what the rectifier on a techno looks like! seem to be not too far away from it, just wires are going straight to each other instead of through a rectifier!

a pic would be fantastic if anyone has one?

can do better than this :-

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchB...t&R=6875598

and on top of that is

1000uf electrolytic capacitor connected to the outer wires.

rectifier.jpg

NOTE the green goes to the thermostatic switch then onto earth (frame of bike)

your colours may not be the same as my electrics have been changed in the past.

Edited by nevilletanner

so is that acting as the rectifier on your bike?

Taken a few pics of what my wiring currently is, I think the rectifier has been taken off completely :s

first pic.

this shows what the wires straight from the fan go to, the 2 black ones are from the fan and the green goes to an earth at the cdi(?)

bikepics-2016246-800.jpg

green earthing

bikepics-2016247-800.jpg

at the other end of the connector, the green again goes to an earth at frame, as does one of the blacks from the fan. The other wire from the fan goes down to the thermo.

bikepics-2016249-800.jpg

this is the wire up from the stator. you can see the yellow wire in the background not going to this connector but to the voltage reg.

bikepics-2016250-800.jpg

then this is where the yellow from the stator goes one way to the voltage regulator and splits the other way (blue - excuse poor wiring at moment) which should go to the rectifier....

bikepics-2016252-800.jpg

so looks like recitfier is missing right?

thanks for your help! :crying:

excuse the drawing .. seriously poor but it will get the point across .

basictechno.jpg

the yellow carries AC electric .. do not use this for anything except going to the rectifier and to a regulator.

TWO OPTIONS :-

1.... get onto rs components ( there will be one near you somwhere) and order a stock No. 687-5829 Manufacturer Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturers Part No. KBL406 (closest match i can find) and a RS Stock No. 684-1983 Manufacturer Vishay Manufacturers Part No. MAL203850102E3

2... find some one breaking a techno (ebay or a trials breaker) and get the part, might take along time though.

wire up as in the sketch and give the fan a try (short out the wires at the thermostat to make it come on straight away)

*** make sure there is no chance of a short curcuit from the rectifier and wires on the bike frame

**** dont bother looking for a rectifier in motorbike shops - there unavailable same as the bloody stators ( still waiting for mine to get back from spain - starting to get withdrawal symptoms now :crying: )

Edited by nevilletanner

excuse my ignorance, just seen that one is the capacitor and the other is the rectifier.

Just wondering why the capacitor is necessary? since the original rectifier wouldn't have a capacitor across it?

the original would have the capacitor, ill try to explain.

if you look at AC electric on a scope it looks like a full sine wave, ie the voltage goes from o to +12 to 0 to -12 to 0 at a rate of 25 times a second

when you put this through a rectifier what you get if DC PULSED if again you look on a scope you actually see a half sine wave where the voltage goes from 0 to 12 to 0 and so on at 50 times a second

this is not really a good way to have DC so we stick a capacitor into the circuit, this takes a charge at the peak of the pulse and then releases during the lower part of the pulse therefore smoothing out the

pulses to get a good near constant DC at 12 volts.

ist easier to see it than explain, take a look at http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/powersup.htm

its simple to follow.

**** you dont need two, its just that RS are so cheap they only sell in multipacks. and i bet that the rectifier at lampkins is actually a regulator - im sure you can guess who sent me the wrong part.

N.

Edited by nevilletanner

aah good old sine wave! taking me back to my a-level physics days! I now understand why there is a capacitor! :banana2:

had a look on the rs place and lampkins said they'd send me one out to try and I could send it back, anyway what turned up was indeed a rectifier!

only problem is the fan still doesn't work! i wired up the rectifier as per the diagram and tried it, still nothing. All connections to the fan are fine and I'm convinced there is a problem with the live from the stator, the yellow comes up seperate from the main group of wires (which go to that large connector in one of the pics) and I know the white/red kill switch wire is live as i accidently touched it today when the bike was running :huh: but i can touch the yellow that goes to regulator and rectifier just fine :s what voltage should be coming off it?

thanks, yet again! Neville