Recommendation For 9yr Old

beta06

First post for me...

I know this kind of question turns up fairly often and I've read through the similar questions on the forum, but my Son is new to trials; ridden probably 5 times (2 local trials with me) and currently has a Beta minitrial (do not seem to get that good a rep on the board but it has done him well for the short period he has had it since he now has confidence in his balance and braking skills to some extent without the confusion of bringing a clutch into the situation).

However after the short intro on this bike (he is 9, average size) I think progress to a manual bike with more power is required, the auto minitrial is limited on some of the hills.

The question is buy a Rev 50 or 80? is the 80 too big? He's sat on a 50 and looks about ok but is an 80 that much bigger? and heavier? I havn't seen an 80 recently or managed to get him to sit on one so not sure about it. Looking at the specs only suggest not much difference in weight or seat height.

Opinions welcome if anyone has been in the same situation. Don't want to get a 50 now and in 6 months be looking for an 80, it will be the minitrial all over again, but maybe price is holding on the rev 50 & 80 anyway so what ever I buy will sell on anyway and not make much of a loss.

all the best, Adrian

Prices are steady on the REV50 mainly due to the fact that the second hand ones are all you can get!!! I'd get the 50 and let him "dominate" it. Too many get the 80 and due to the "big" wheels find it difficult to manoeuvre. If he has to sit on the 80 to foot he won't be confident on the bike. If he looks "right" on the 50, (as an adult would on a "proper" bike), I'd think it would let him get the confidence he needs.

Your profile doesn't mention where you are in the world, but, in the UK for ACU events there are rules.

Among other things, these govern the size of bikes youths ride.

For example Youth D riders can only ride 50cc mono shock or 80cc twin shock, there are two wheel size based classes, small wheel and medium wheel.

There is no point buying him a bike that falls outside of the rules then expecting clubs to allow him to enter. There is an insurance problem in addition to the competitive one.

Equally if he's only say 6 months away from being allowed to ride a bigger bike it may be as well financially to keep him on the minitrial, plus a new bike makes a wonderful Christmas present

My son is 9 and rides the Beta evo 80 junior its medium wheel the frame is identical to tthe REV 50 in size , he is of average size and my 10 year old daughter also rides the same bike and this should last them a good couple of years .As for the issue of the ACU it would make sense if they kept up to speed with what the manufactures are now producing as it is not possible to purchase new a geared 50cc bike to compete in medium wheel Youth D .I have written to the ACU to highlight this and suprise suprise have had no response. :banana2:

As for the issue of the ACU it would make sense if they kept up to speed with what the manufactures are now producing as it is not possible to purchase new a geared 50cc bike to compete in medium wheel Youth D. I have written to the ACU to highlight this and suprise suprise have had no response

I presume you also wrote to the manufacturers asking them why they don't produce bikes that conform to the rules?

If so, what was their response?