Rear Brake Use !

I was watching Gary MacDonald and a few other top guys on Sunday and was amazed how much rear brake they use, like, what seemed to be much more than the front, I may be wrong, but is this normal and is this the reason I'm crap due to too much front brake :rolleyes: well, that and all the other reasons for being crap that is :)

• 1 month later...

me too, I use the front brake going down hills and thats about it. I balance the rear brake against the clutch but i'm only a mid table clubman rider so not sure if thats right or not. any advice from better riders welcome :o

The front brake offers about 70% of your stopping power in most situations. On a big downhill this is evem more critical as the rear is light and sensitive and the use of it only will quickly turn yourself into a screaming missile accelerating down the hill totally out of control!

Once you even allow the acceleration to begin, you may be in trouble! Front brake control is the key to not letting this happen, and the rear must roll, not slide, to act as an effective rudder! :D

It smooths the bike out a mixture of brake clutch and motor. Its a subconscious thing not may people know they do it they just do. When you practice enough to where it becomes second nature then you become smooth, when you have to think about is where you mess up. As slow as trials is your movements have to be quick and never hesitate.

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

i ride the top route in clubs comps around lancashire area and i only ever use my back brake really when going down hill. front brake or clutch offers much more control i feel and if picking way through rocks then no brake at all is best and use the clutch and momentum your already have and go at a constant pace. even when going up kickers or steps theres no need to use the back brake really unless your stopping dead. you need both feet to balance and if you relie on your back brake then once youneed to throw your right leg up in air for balance your buggered. you notice this in top level trials alot, it looks like they have the bike held on the back brake when still against an obstical but its usually the clutch against the front brake to leave there feet free.

Rear braking all the time puts a strain on my right knee (I'm getting old),it makes me feel like I'm riding 'pigeon toed ' and also it seems to limit the response of my rear suspension?

Just my opinion (bad riding excuse number 432) :dunce: .

• 1 month later...

I use the rear brake all the time to be super smooth in turns. I also use it to catch my balance. I broke my rear brake lever this year and it was my worst finish. The trials had a super steep and long down hill which the front brake does most of the work. If I would have hit a rock with the front wheel instant acceleration would have made it so I could never slow down. As it turned out I did ok on this section but it was the turns and balance catching that cost me all those extra points. Also don't forget the traction control technique. The rear brake can be applied on slippery / rooty side hills to smooth out the power delivery. You can also drag the rear brake over smaller slippery angle logs so the rear wheel doesn't slide. It's also kind of handy doing splatters or wheelies unless you like to land on your back. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I've only been riding a short while but really do prefer using the back brake especially were I go Trials biking as the terrain is a mixture of mud and chalk and has been wet and very slippery in places. I found using the front brake the wheel locked up (maybe a beginners error of apply the brake to hard) and the front wheel would slide which wasn't to bad if going in a straight line but when cornering the bike would try and slide out from under me and I would end up putting a foot down which is not what I want to be doing if I'm ever going enter an event.