Dunlop D803 Mounting Issues

kelsey

I have 2 new Dunlop D803 Tubeless tires and it seems impossible to mount these without tearing the bead.. It appears that they are just a tad undersized.

Has anybody else had any isses with the D803 and getting them mounted without ruining portions of the bead area?

I have installed dozens if Michelins without issues but this is my 1st Dunlop and I am struggling..

Just curious as if anybody else has had issues with this tire?

Thanks

Edited by Kelsey

Just fitted one last night ready for the Reeth Three Day.

Easy peasy. Secret is to lubricate bead with WD40, it will slip on easily, put in a tyre worm or a partly inflated MTB inner tube, inflate and it will blow out very easily.

WD40 may be an unusual lubricant to use, rather than soap and water, but WD40 is water based and when it dries out, it sort of glues to tyre to the rim. Certainly they will run for a considerable distance flat without coming off the rim should you get a puncture.

Easy peasy. Secret is to lubricate bead with WD40, it will slip on easily, put in a tyre worm or a partly inflated MTB inner tube, inflate and it will blow out very easily.

WD40 may be an unusual lubricant to use, rather than soap and water, but WD40 is water based and when it dries out, it sort of glues to tyre to the rim. Certainly they will run for a considerable distance flat without coming off the rim should you get a puncture.

I don't believe that WD40 (Water Displacement formula #40) is water based,

Right from the WD40 FAQ

"What does WD-40 contain?

While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents."

Here is the site

But as far as mounting the Dunlop 803 I have had no trouble, put some straight dish soap on the bead pops right on. Get out my ratcheting tie down and just snug it down to the rim, If the tire tread area is buckling that is too far. Air it up and POP, it's on.

not water based. It will rot the rubber

use water or soap and water

Yep, had the same problem as you. I "think" Dunlop may have had a batch of undersized tires make it through the inspection process. The one that did it to me was the third Dunlop I had mounted and the first that I've ever had a problem with. The retailer took it back, sent me another, and it went on no sweat.

I use a tire mounting lube that I get at NAPA auto parts and it's the best $7.00 you'll ever spend.

Joe

Yep, had the same problem as you. I "think" Dunlop may have had a batch of undersized tires make it through the inspection process. The one that did it to me was the third Dunlop I had mounted and the first that I've ever had a problem with. The retailer took it back, sent me another, and it went on no sweat.

I use a tire mounting lube that I get at NAPA auto parts and it's the best $7.00 you'll ever spend.

Joe

Thanks Guys..

Just to be clear.. it is not the seating of the bead, once it is mounted, that I am having issues with. It is actually installing the tire on the rim without damaging the bead area... It seems the ones I have are just a tad undersized and are near impossible to get on the rim without bead damage.. Once on, they will seat up fine, but, of course, they leak at low pressures, because the bead is damaged.

That's what mine did as well. It actually ripped chucks of the rubber off right in the area where the bead meets the rim. And in my case is was PLENTY warm (it's always plenty warm here :rolleyes:), and had LOTS of lube on it. You might want to contact the folks you bought it from and see if they are willing to contact Dunlop about taking it back. Not only would it help you out, it might help Dunlop figure out if they have a problem.

Joe

I just called Dunlop Tire's Claims dept. to ASK if there have beenany issues on their end. They, rudely, told me that there are no issues withthe tire and that I am the only one who has ever called in regarding this..

So, I guess it is back to Michelin Tires for me.. Wasted 2 Dunlops trying to install them. The Michelins go right on..

I would suggest that everybody think twice about the Dunlop tire.

???hmmmm... mine went right on, no problem getting the bead to seat, no different than a mich or IRC. if you are tearing the bead you are using the wrong tool, technique, or lubrication. is it possible your wheel does not have a deep enough drop center? My Montesa rim has plenty of drop center, not sure, but I was thinking some of the manufacturers use some kind of old fashion sealing band over the spoke nipples, maybe that is creating a clearance problem??

???hmmmm... mine went right on, no problem getting the bead to seat, no different than a mich or IRC. if you are tearing the bead you are using the wrong tool, technique, or lubrication. is it possible your wheel does not have a deep enough drop center? My Montesa rim has plenty of drop center, not sure, but I was thinking some of the manufacturers use some kind of old fashion sealing band over the spoke nipples, maybe that is creating a clearance problem??

Very good point. In order to ensure the tyre goes on with no damage always pay attention to the opposite side and make sure it is pushed right into the 'drop centre'. Buy some decent soap and never use tyre levers for fitting - if you can't get it on without then you're not doing it correctly.

I use a wheel holder that I made to hold the rim steady and above the floor clear of disc or sprocket. It also has a bead breaker built in which could be used to assist in fitting. I prefer to stick my big work boots on or even Trials boots and stand on the tyre. Soon pops over even with cold stiff old tyres.

I've never fitted a Dunlop but I pretty sure that if the tyre will seat then there's no way it's undersize.

neither WD40 or soap and water should be used to mount a tyre . WD40 because its an oil and will rot the rubber and soap has salt in it and will also rot the rubber . Tyre bead soap should be used , but as an alternative , spray furniture polish ( Mr Sheen etc.) is quite good and also a tyre should go on without the use of levers . When I was a tyre fitter , we used to put tyres on earth movers with a 28lb sledgehammer !!!

Phil

I have installed countless tires and am confident in my method.. Like I said, the IRC and Michelins go on this rim just fine without issues.. it is only the Dunlop that is causing me grief.. same method used with all of them