Acu Trials Forum August 2010

pete_scorpa3

The ACU are having an open trials forum to allow riders or clubs to discuss any issues which they might have.

Excluding British Solo and Youth Championships, (which have their own seperate forum), any topic can be put forward. Personally I am interested in the whole issue of Risk Assessments, but I'm sure that there are many more points that could be covered at this forum.

Any suggestions?

Pete

Like how to attract more riders to the sport, and how or what can be done to make trials more interesting to the general public. Would it not be possible for the ACU to attend some of the big shows around the country with some of our top riders to give demonstrations and promote the sport. There needs to be two types of trials, the traditional type and the show indoor type for the public which could be more like the BBC kick start that everyone still talkes about to this day.

under 16s & above 125cc is causing some real issues down here (like some clubs muttering UDI)

lots of clubs have got new comers coming to the sport, and want to let them have a go at a small scale trial (ie a really easy one) such as a club trial or a beginner & wobbler on their dads / mates bike - but you can't let them ride a 200/250/etc.

now in mx kids get on a 250F at 14, and over in trails the difference in cc isn't reflected in the bikes like say mx/rr/etc

not asking for kids to ride 250 in nationals or whatever.......

another idea that strikes me after reading today's TEC minutes, is getting some proper IT guy to explain and pitch a proper robust online entry and event management system that could be hosted off a sever at ACU HQ (like the current permits ever), could be accessed by clubs nationwide (MX, trials, enduros, RR, etc) to manage their events, and be used by riders like buying something online (ie like the ACU's very limited online shop). the ACU office has credit card handling facilities, e-commerce facilities, a membership database to validate the entries against, it already is doing permits online ......

guys down here are asking these questions (ie how can we do online entries) a lot more now, as fewer and fewer people have cheque books. at the same time it seams a handful of promoters (exp in the enduro world) have built their own DIY systems that have various issues / teething problems with them. if we could pitch it big enough (ie ACU wide for all clubs and disciplines) the cost could be spread wide enough to make it cheap (eg a sump per entry) and at the same time justify having some decent IT support behind it to make it work.

the idea needs a lot more refining both technically, practically and most importantly financially (ie how all the money is handled in the most efficient way, especially on tax grounds)

Yes, change that 125 rule. There's a pool of cheap TY175s and quite a few 200s that could be used.

Say - 125s for centre championships etc & 175/200s for club trials starters.

It's essential to make the sport cheap for new youth riders ( or rather their Dads!).

Yes, change that 125 rule. There's a pool of cheap TY175s and quite a few 200s that could be used.

Say - 125s for centre championships etc & 175/200s for club trials starters.

It's essential to make the sport cheap for new youth riders ( or rather their Dads!).

Good idea, plenty of fantic 200 & TY175 yams out there going to wast, keep national rules but change for club & centre trials as they are worlds apart.

Well in that case people should stop criticising the ACU if they can't even be bothered to go to a forum.

Totally agree BJ. Every year the ACU notify me, every year I promote it and every year it is cancelled due to lack of commitment.

Different year, same complacency. :agreed:

i am a passionately committed organiser, occasional competitor, with deep and passionate heartfelt view about the topic, but the thought of being invited to another talking shop up in rugby (2hrs15mins / 128 miles) where we might all express very different views but actually get nowhere ...

i understand how the system works, but i couldn't in all good conciousness even try to persuade someone to go (unless they are desperate for the one vacant TEC seat in November)

if someone could thrash out some sort of agenda maybe by floating so topics online (hence this sub forum), to centres, to clubs - appointing delegates back to a proper meetings that would be representative of all stakeholders (be it every centre, youth, pre65, modern, road trials, etc).

running the sport with 8 committee members who have to spend half their time on enduro isn't perfect by a long shot, those 8 can't hope to represent the whole sport country wide, but we do seam to lack a better idea in the mean time

Well in that case people should stop criticising the ACU if they can't even be bothered to go to a forum.

Ah that old chestnut :agreed: a bit like the "if you don't like the government, then vote them out" Pi$h

Totally agree BJ. Every year the ACU notify me, every year I promote it and every year it is cancelled due to lack of commitment.

Different year, same complacency. :agreed:

Indeed Andy, same age old problem, plenty folk take time to criticise sporting controlling bodies (that applies to all sports not just motorcycle sport) but it's a different matter when they are asked to do something positive about it.

Sniping from the sidelines is just poor effort and achieves nothing (in my opinion).

Whatever way you approach it, the sport still needs some form of governance, especially when it comes to political representation, otherwise we will one day be faced with no-where to ride our bikes (if you don't believe that will ever happen just ask a fox hunt supporter - oh wait a moment... there are none because the government banned them as it was deemed anti-social, even though it had been going for hundreds of years) and then perhaps we will all have cause to moan.

I personally don't want to see that happen!

Big John

(if you don't believe that will ever happen just ask a fox hunt supporter - oh wait a moment... there are none because the government banned them as it was deemed anti-social, even though it had been going for hundreds of years)

So was slavery and apartheid :agreed:

So was slavery and apartheid :agreed:

I'm making a point about a long established field sport (possibly viewed by country dwellers as part of the UK country scene) being banned by the state, not an oppressive regime!

Ten years ago if the question were to be asked in a straw poll, "what would be banned first, fox hunting or an off road motorcycle sport"? I reckon most would know what answer to expect!

Aren't we lucky to be still riding bikes off road - so far!

Big John

Edited by Big John