Storage Question - Run It Or Not?

dschigoda

Due to health issues I put my 2002 GG280 Ed in storage one year ago. I am not planning to ride again until Spring 2011.

Should I start it up an run it once in a while? Or should I just leave it stored? Or should I turn the engine over with the sparkplug wire disconnedted?

When I put it away last summer, I drained the tank and float bowl, changed the tranny oil and the brake fluid, washed it, covered it, etc.

Thanks.

Last outbreak of foot and mouth here we didn't get out on our bikes for a year, but, we expected to be out in the next week or two for the whole year so we did nothing. Only problem I had after the year was the first trial I broke the chain (in 2 places) on the first big step I hit, the side plates of the links had corroded on the inside.

If you really are bothered, go to your nearest marine chandlers and buy an aerosol can of fogging oil.

This is used for 'winterising' 2 stoke outboards.

Basically, you run the engine at a fast idle, then start spraying the fogging oil into the carb. It will gradually coat the crankcase internals, main bearings, both con rod bearings, piston, and cylinder surface with an oil that will dry to a protective wax coating. Eventually, it coats the spark plug and the engine stops. Then you don't move the engine at all, everything internally is coated with hydrophobic wax.

Tip the bike right onto its side and fill (really fill) the gearbox with diesel.

Pump up the tyres up to 25psi

Brake fluid is hydrophylic and should be changed every 2 years, though you are unlikely to raise it to boiling point on a trials bike. The water can cause caliper seals to swell.

Empty the carb floatbowl of petrol and spray it with fogging oil.

Oil the chain (heavily!!)

When you are ready to ride again, drain the diesel from the gearbox and re-fill with the correct quantity of your favourite oil, change the brake fluid, put in a new plug and fresh petrol.

Off you go.

For the most part, I have usually found it better to run things if you can, get some heat in them and keep things circulating and lubed!

As you are not talking about an eternity here, just months, I will tell you what I would do.

1- Go to local private airport and buy a gallon on AVGAS and mix it up with some good synthetic oil. This stuff runs well in cool climates and stores well over time. It is REAL gas without alcohol or too much crap that sours. Things do not dry out that way.

2- Start and run periodically, getting some heat in the motor, or get someone to ride it a bit! At least monthly!

3- Be sure your axle shafts, and even swingarm bolt, does not sit up and corrode, might pull them and lube them, as they can cause real headaches if they get stuck!

4 Tri-flow or Corrosion-X is good at treating stuff = treat little thingies!

I think chains were toutched upon, not sure about coolant? Fresh mix with distilled water, or your premix stuff that you can get. Stuff settles and looses it's corrosion properties over time.

FWIW, there you go! Hope you get along well!

^_^