Is Four Stroke Fading Away?..

captaincaveman

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What should I do, get the 4 stroke and watch it fade away or go with the 2 strokers ? ^_^

All comes down to personal preference. I have been on 4 strokes for several years now, and wouldn't go back, by choice. If you like the Beta, buy it, and enjoy it. Perfectly OK not to do what the mainstream is doing. Don't think I would hold my breath for Montesa to go back to 2-strokes either. They are owned by Honda who is dead set against 2-strokes, influencing the FIM to steer away from them across the various motorcycle sports. It just didn't happen with trials, as was originally mandated. For the sake of choice, that is probably a good thing. Wouldn't want anyone to have a choice forced on them, and that appeared to be where it was headed, there for a while.

I have both, i ride both and love both all for different reasons, and i reckon its totally up to the indivual rider in terms of his abilty, maintainace requirements, fun factor, COST.

Have a go on as many as possible, dont be swayed by people telling you two strokes are better or four strokes are better. Have a go, its that simple.

Once things for sure, you got a good choice out there. Perhaps ring up the importers and ask why you should buy one of their bikes.

Good luck in your bike search.

4 strokes are dying and are crap, expensive and heavy.

Def get a 2 stroke

I have a 2 stroke myself and love it, But sorry that statement is a load of S**t, I mean my dad and a few other own Beta Rev4's & Evo 4T's which are brilliant, Okay they might be a bit on the heavy side, but compared to a 2 stroke, The 4t's have the torque behind them, when you trying to get up a big hill on a 2 stroke and start struggling you will have to clutch it, but the 4 stroke has the torque to go all the way, One of the only reasons I have a 2T Evo is because they're a lot lighter & have a more flicky feel to them. Not slating a 2T because they are very good, But I think it's a bit harsh to say 4T's are crap, Just because they're a bit heavier.

Trust me if you have an Evo 4T, with an Arrow back box on, Then you will know what the 4 strokes are all about.

Two Strokes suit more Trials riders than Four. That is certain. I cannot see a future for 4T's in Trials until the more exotic materials become more "affordable" and the engine technology becomes more capable.

The Simple fact is that the majority of 4t's will never win a Trial as the better riders prefer the engine characteristic's of the 2t's.

Edited by Telecat

I don't think that is quite the case with Toni Bou though, and also Ben Hemingway is very good on The Evo 4T, I no the majority of trials riders ride 2 strokes, & they are suited to trials more, but I think in time the 4T's could very much be just be as competative in any trials events.

Edited by GasGasben

If you are riding in club trials why worry, buy whatever you fancy and enjoy using it. Irrespective of what is made in the future you will own an a trials bike that will enable you to compete, just as many still do with the TY175/TY250 Mono and every other bike made since.

Cam anyone comment on whether rules & regulations have, or are going to have any bearing on this, it seems in virtually every other instance of two strokes usage they are being phased out by EU emission regulations & other stuff (I'm no expert!). Road bikes, Moto GP, outboard motors.....

Cam anyone comment on whether rules & regulations have, or are going to have any bearing on this, it seems in virtually every other instance of two strokes usage they are being phased out by EU emission regulations & other stuff (I'm no expert!). Road bikes, Moto GP, outboard motors.....

Japan seem quite keen still, they're getting a 4T Gas Gas designed especially for them apparently.

Not sure if this reply will actually stay on here as I posted this up yesterday but for some reason its been censored/removed. Not sure why as I've deliberately avoided mentioning which site I've read it on which I'm fairly certain is one of things we mustn't speak of on here. Disappointing that its been removed, along with a reply that also seems to of been deleted, without any message or explanation as I really don't see how its broken any of the rules or mentioned any names/companies on the banned list(s). May be the biggest trials site but it just adds to my feelings of is it worth engaging in a topic anymore! ^_^

I currently have a 2000 sherco 2.9 2T, I like it very much. I prefer 2T for ease of maintenance and the way the engine reacts.

One of our competitors in MOTA has a Beta Evo 4T and he let me take it for a spin. I was quite surprised with the bike. Did not really feel all that heavy and had shed loads of torque on the bottom. I stopped at the bottom of a medium steep hill and blasted up from dead stop, went over a 18inch-24inch size log in the middle of the hill. After going over the log I shut the throttle right off and it was so quiet I almost thought it stopped running. When the rear tire touched down on the dirt again, I opened up the throttle and just powered right up the rest of the hill. All this without pulling in the clutch lever.

So Moral of the story "Buy what you like and enjoy it"

I can still get parts for my 10 year old beast, so I am certain parts will be available for the 4t's even if they stop producing the bikes.

I have watched plenty of the 4T's in Club, Centre and National Trials. The disadvantage's seem to be linked to the speed at which the Piston accelerates and decelerates. It manifests itself best on close steps where the rider has to maintain momentum or when they have to stop and "go again".

The 4T "loses" torque faster meaning higher revs are needed initially to maintain the best push up the rock. The 2T's advantage here is that they "gain" Torque as they move forward, meaning that the initial Push isn't as hard . The 4T has to start high to maintain the required level of Torque as the revs drop due to the lesser "firing" strokes in the cycle. The 2T's appear to be able, due to the greater number of firing strokes, to build or maintain Torque without needing to rev it when setting off.

Perversely once moving the 4T's maintain torque really well and the lack of piston acceleration is very helpful on slippy surfaces.

Telecat

I think you are saying 4ts good on traditional type sections with no stop rules

2ts good on stop hop and bop stuff

But he got to type more to do it. :rolleyes:

also did a bit of explaining as to the why