Bultaco 199 Indentification Problem

hares_ear

Need some help figuring out what I have. I know its a 1978 Bultaco 199 but I have some confusion because of the frame. I purchased the bike a few months ago from the original owner in Colorado. It had the original Colorado title issued in July, 1978 with the proper VIN # that matches the frame and the engine.

My problem is that the frame looks like a 199A. It has the aluminum skid plate, split rear swing arm, etc... I have a friend that owns a 1979 Bultaco 199A and the frames are identical.

One person told me it was a Sammy Miller frame but don't those have an SM Serial #? Mine has the standard Bultaco JB-199032XX with a matching serial # on the engine.

Were there a few 1978 199's sold with an optional frame? Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I said, it was purchased from the original owner who purchased it from a Bultaco dealer in Boulder and he verified it is exactly as he purchased it.

sherpat001.jpg

sherpat002.jpg

sherpat003.jpg

sherpat005.jpg[/uR

sherpat008.jpg

Edited by hares_ear

It's a model 199, but the frame has been modified to 199A specification. The swinging arm is unmodified 199 as they were unbraced and had a tendency to bend at the rear shock mount usually on the offside (not the drive side).

It is quite easy to modify the 199 frame to 199A as they are identical except for the tubes under the motor. Many riders in the UK upgraded 199 models to that of 199A nad some tried to modify 199A to 199B by eliminating the rear mudguard loop, but manu did it badly!

Hope this helps.

Big John

I assume the dealer that sold the bike did the modification as the original owner said it was like that when he purchased the bike new. Like Big John said, the swing arm does not have the reinforcing like the 199A but the rest of it looks exactly like my friends 199A when we put them side by side.

Thanks Big John for the input. Now its time to start enjoying the bike and compete in some local vintage trials.

Edited by hares_ear

Thanks Big John for the input. Now its time to start enjoying the bike and compete in some local vintage trials.

Sounds like a good idea that! Enjoy your Bultaco.

One last thing, be careful when draining oil from the gearbox of a 199A.. we just managed to strip the thread during an oil change this morning(over-zealous "bloody idiot" of a previous owner overtightened the drain plug!) So it's a helicoil M8 x 1.25 job in front of us now I'm afraid! It does of course render the bike un-useable until an effective repair (not a bodge up) is carried out!

Big John

Sounds like a good idea that! Enjoy your Bultaco.

One last thing, be careful when draining oil from the gearbox of a 199A.. we just managed to strip the thread during an oil change this morning(over-zealous "bloody idiot" of a previous owner overtightened the drain plug!) So it's a helicoil M8 x 1.25 job in front of us now I'm afraid! It does of course render the bike un-useable until an effective repair (not a bodge up) is carried out!

Big John

John,are the threads stripped all the way into the sump of the Bult? I know some drain plugs are quite short.If there is threads further into the case try a Volkswagen car sump plug.They are a lot longer and even have a built on washer.19mm head as well.I have one on my 190,found this out by accident as I had a spare one at the garage I work at.

There is plenty of room inside the gearbox for the longer plug.Worth a try.

Davie.