Disc Brake On A Tlr - Sacrilege?

jmo

So I'm really enjoying using my TLR as a trailie-trialer, however, the front brake is still shocking [compared to a modern bike], even with new pads and an adjusted cable... I was going to try a brand new front cable just to see if it made much difference, but then I saw a 'kit' on ebay the other week caught my eye (I didn't win it as the bidding went high in the last few moments)...

Basically someone had grafted on a hydraulic caliper mount to a stock TLR left had fork leg, used a Grimeca Caliper (and presumably master cylinder), plus a Fantic front wheel with a small disc... the sell said it fitted straight on with the TLR axle.

So, is anyone familiar with this modification, or can recommend any other way of fitting a front disc brake to a TLR...? - I did consider using the complete front end off another bike - either something like a CG125 perhaps, and re-lace with a 21" rim [to keep it Honda], or even swap the whole front end for a more modern trials bike, as parts would be easier to find I imagine?

Do I have too much time on my hands and/or is this not the 'done thing' to do to old twin-shocks?

Advice and opinions please!

Jenny xx

Edited by JMo

If you are riding trials then it is sometimes frowned upon. Try the new front cable but buy genuine Honda and make sure the shoes are good and centralise the front wheel when fitting it. It will never be as good as a modern disc but with a bit of fettling can be better than some drums...... :rolleyes:

Edited by bo drinker

Thanks guys - it all sounds like good advice (I did think that some purists would get a bit twitchy at the suggestion - although would/does it actually exclude you from certain classes or not?)

I'll certainly try a new cable and holding the front brake on when I tighten the front axle to see if that makes much difference - out of interest, I know people tend to recommend the OE cable (that is what is fitted to my bike at the moment) but are Venhill a good alternative?

Many thanks!

Jenny x

I just purchased some new shoes made by EBC brakes. They have these deep grooves cut into them at a diagonal.

Have not installed them as yet. The grooves should, as I understand it, help to dissapate the heat but perhaps they will also allow the brake powder to be cleaned off the drum and moved to the inside. Therefore, allowing the remaining brake material to continue to grab better.

Any thoughts?

Edited by scooterspal

I just purchased some new shoes made by EBC brakes. They have these deep grooves cut into them at a diagonal.

Have not installed them as yet. The grooves should, as I understand it, help to dissapate the heat but perhaps they will also allow the brake powder to be cleaned off the drum and moved to the inside. Therefore, allowing the remaining brake material to continue to grab better.

Any thoughts?

The diagonal cuts were basically to try and get rid of water...

The diagonal cuts were basically to try and get rid of water...

This is true and here is the complete description from their site

"WATER GROOVED EBC aluminium series brake shoes are made using high pressure Die cast alluminium platforms with bonded brake linings. All shoes are radius ground and edge trimmed and also feature lead in and lead out chamfers at lining ends and original equipment style brake shoe springs.

The multiple angled liner grooves are designed to channel away dirt, dust, water and debris from the braking area to improve braking and extend shoe and drum life."

Has anyone tried them and are they effective?

Edited by scooterspal

i have used all different makes of shoe on my tlr, as well as cable, cams, even a differnet wheel and its still rubbish, so i now hardly ever use the brakes, my xl 185 however has quite good brakes for a twinshock

i do sometimes compete against a chap, (in the s-west) who has a disc conversion on a tlr, but aparently it was an early 80's conversion available.

Taking some of the flex out of the control helps. A slightly shorter brake cable, such as a 1990 XR100, cable is good...at least on the Reflex. A big rigid lever and perch such as stock Honda is also good. On the Reflex, the front brake is larger than the back and works pretty well when properly assembled but uses a fairly small axle. Have you looked at XR200 front wheels?