Plans For Side Car

millerme

• 1 month later...

Hi Guy's

I too could do with some information about, who builds, trials sidecars? Does every one build them to the ACU spesification ETC? I agree with you guy's there is not much information forthcoming about the sidecar scene, some of them must have a computor, with the law of averages. Perhaps Robin can put us right?

Regards Charlie,

PS Still looking for Ray Rounds, BSA Victor Outfit.

• 3 weeks later...

Majority of british ones are to the ACU specification (give or take a bit, especiall regarding the seat!)

Important things to get it handling correct is

- to have bike vertical when all tyres at comp pressure

- 1.5" toe in on sidecar wheel over wheelbase of bike.

- sidecar wheel to lead back wheel by approx 10" (can firm this up by measuring mine if really req'd)

Most of UK sidecars built by bruce Rushton but he's not making many nowadays.

Best thing is to get an old one someone has lying around and then fit it to the solo of choice.

Majority of british ones are to the ACU specification (give or take a bit, especiall regarding the seat!)

Important things to get it handling correct is

- to have bike vertical when all tyres at comp pressure

- 1.5" toe in on sidecar wheel over wheelbase of bike.

- sidecar wheel to lead back wheel by approx 10" (can firm this up by measuring mine if really req'd)

Most of UK sidecars built by bruce Rushton but he's not making many nowadays.

Best thing is to get an old one someone has lying around and then fit it to the solo of choice.

Thanks Robin

I will take a look at the ACU specs again. I think my major question is wheel placement, which you have helped with. If I had the distance from the centerline of the bikes wheels to the center of the car wheel right to left that would be helpful. That may be in the ACU specs, I'll take a look.

I'd love to find a used car but not many here in the U.S.

Looks like I will be fabricating my own. But that's half the fun.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks Robin

I will take a look at the ACU specs again. I think my major question is wheel placement, which you have helped with. If I had the distance from the centerline of the bikes wheels to the center of the car wheel right to left that would be helpful. That may be in the ACU specs, I'll take a look.

I'd love to find a used car but not many here in the U.S.

Looks like I will be fabricating my own. But that's half the fun.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob, just what you need is another project. Next we will have a sidecar class at the ITSA rounds. :thumbup:

Sidecar class at ITSA rounds?????? Hmmmmmmmmmm......... Great idea! Why didn't I think of that?

You driving and HB as the monkey .... Almost a scary thought !!!

But hey I've got two chimps I can train , just need to find a tt500 yamer to cut up . :blink::hyper::banana2::thumbup:

You driving and HB as the monkey .... Almost a scary thought !!!

But hey I've got two chimps I can train , just need to find a tt500 yamer to cut up . :blink::hyper::banana2::thumbup:

Just think if it was Bob and PW, they would never agree on which way to go. :chairfall::rotfl:

Hi Guy's

Hi Robin,

Firstly, Wow, not some interest in chairs, At Last, Ay Andy.

Robin, It would be good if we could have some close up pictures of your, or someone else's sidecar, as with the ACU dimensions,I'm sure we could work things out from these two elements.

Mine is for fitting to a British bike a BSA, I have built a replica Kendall chair for our Ariel, but his is only for show. so I am fitting a competitive chair to the BSA and fitting a 300 cc engine. I have until March to build it so need to get a move on.

PS, good luck to you Guy's in the US with your projects.

Regards Charlie.

• 3 weeks later...

:rotfl::rotfl: Sorry guys just kidding , but you would not beleive what folks will pay to keep their vespa's in top form ... Yeah I switched from cars to working on motorcycles, scooters , and the random moped . And oh yeah , I'm building these too to pass my free time ! alot more rewarding than cars are these days B)post-1232-082518700 1290287169.jpgpost-1232-056939300 1290287184.jpgpost-1232-027822300 1290287211.jpg

And yeah , thats a copper plated frame... Wait to ya see the vtwin 250 we got cookin'

Edited by axulsuv