4rt Questions...

helmetfire

Hi-

I just purchased an 08 4rt. The previous owner is deceased, and I am trying to sort a couple of issues out and could use some input:

The bike has been sitting for a while with gas in it, and the injector/fuel system seem to be clogged. I have added some injector cleaner to fresh fuel and run through a tank, but am still experiencing intermittent hard starts and bogging at higher RPMs. The bike runs smoothly at lower RPMs, but lacks power. Air filter has been cleaned and the plug is new.

Does this seem like a clogged injector? Any suggestions on ways to clean the fuel system? Any suggestions on what else to check?

The previous owner had dialed the idle speed back to 780 RPM per his maintenance log. The manual specs 1800 RPM +/- 100. Any idea why someone would dial it back this far? Any harm in returning it to spec?

Did the bike originally come with a tool kit of any kind? What was in it/what did it look like? If it exists, I can likely get it from the widow, but I don't want to go rooting blindly through her garage.

Thanks for the help!

Matthew

No suggestions for the first part, my 4RT's have both stood for 4to 5 months out of season without any problem, I guess in the UK condensation could be a problem and maybe there are some remnants of water in the fuel? The Canadians add a small amount of methylated spirit to their fuel tanks in winter to absorb the moisture.

No tool kit is supplied with the bike, just a very comprehensive manual.

My first bike I didn't like the higher tickover and had it back at 1,100 rpm however as I adapted found it easier to start and more reliable around the 1,800 mark, there should be no reason not to increase it now.

I guess one question could be has it got the programmable throttle body fitted and if so the previous owner could have installed an unusual programme , although I would think this unlikely.

Good luck

Thanks for the message.

I dumped the fuel out of the tank to replace it with fresh when I got the bike. The old gas had lost almost all gas smell which is making me think that the issue may be related to the old gas, but I could be wrong.

The bike only has 15 hours on it.

Thanks,

Matthew

Tick over

Put back to the 1800 rpm and you will probably find all OK.

As bike has no battery has to generate and store enough charge to run all electrical systems every stroke.

Check back through forums but basically start with no throttle, let it warm up before blipping throttle, always stop with kill button and all should be well. If all above done and still issues then maybe a problem but fancy tick-over is the issue.