The Best Castor Based 2t Oil?

sam95

Sam: You need to choose your oil and mix ratio for what your bike likes......not what smells good. Castor oil is great for vintage WW1 planes with rotary engines, and high rpm racing bikes and karts......but not good in low rpm uses. The thing about Castor that makes it so good in high rpm engines is that it has a very high shear strength and it just doesn't burn away.....the exhaust is usually very oily which works well for oiling the exposed valve gear in a WW1 Rotary engine. The Castor will probably just gum up your muffler in a trials bike.

Currently there are far better oil choices for trials bikes than Castor oil. I use Maxima K2 as it is an esther based synthetic and I mix it at 80:1 for my modern water cooled bike, and at 50:1 for my Suzuki RL250 and Yamaha TY80. I mix about 25% 100LL Avgas to get a little higher octane in my 87 Octane fuel......it is the highest Octaned fuel that I can get here in Kentucky without Ethanol mixed in.....it is sold to farmers to keep in their outdoor tanks for farm use. The Avgas adds a cool race smell.....but it does not smell like Castor.

The smell of Castor oil brings back a lot of memories for me........back in the late 60's and early 70's the Bultaco, Montesa, CZ and Hodaka bikes racing in this area used Castor oil. I can still remember the thick smoke and smell wafting across the track as the bikes all revved up getting ready for the flag to drop and start the race. I even used some Castor oil for a while in my weed wacker just to get that racey smell......but I have moved on and switched everything to modern esther based oils. Why deprive your engine of the best modern oils available just to smell cool?

Edited by 1oldbanjo

• 2 weeks later...

Maxima Castor 927 is a synthetic ester blend and works great in Trials bikes

I thought Maxima Castor 927 was a CASTER-based semi sythetic oil, not an ester-based full synthetic!

Castrol A747 is caster-based semi-synthetic too and available in the UK from a variety of outlets and from Castrol Classic - Promapac.

Big John

Sam i use Slikolene comp2 premix in both my TLM's @ 50:1 mix (100ml per 5ltrs fuel, comp2 is a synthetic ester oil i've been using it for over a year now and riding most weekends, dont bother with R30 yes it smells nice coming out from somthing like a triumph cub but stick with a modern oil for the TLM

Edited by twinshocknut

No, but it could have ended up that way had i continued riding as the oil had gummed up everything it had come into contact with internally.

A real mess actually, gas gas dealer shook his head and said don't ever use comp2!

Strange. Prior to switching to 4-strokes, that was all I used for 6 straight years, and never had an issue with any of my bikes, trials or enduro.

I thought Maxima Castor 927 was a CASTER-based semi sythetic oil, not an ester-based full synthetic!

Castrol A747 is caster-based semi-synthetic too and available in the UK from a variety of outlets and from Castrol Classic - Promapac.

Big John

I read the bottle and now I am not sure, I was thinking the "blend" meant semi senthetic

Always read the instructions and ingredients!

I think the name is a bit of a give-away..Castor!!!

Big John

this from their website:

Castor 927 is a unique blend of highly refined castor oil, a specially prepared synthetic and an additive system that reduces carbon and gum formation and provides excellent rust & corrosion protection. Castor 927 also contains an exclusive additive that keeps power valves cleaner and working properly. For all of us that wish to keep our air and water cleaner, Castor 927 is biodegradable. Castor 927 keeps on lubricating; where other lubricants turn to carbon or vaporize, and provides extra protection on cylinder walls, bearing journals and other critical areas at temperatures much higher than other lubricants.

Strange. Prior to switching to 4-strokes, that was all I used for 6 straight years, and never had an issue with any of my bikes, trials or enduro.

same here as i said been using in both tlm's for the last year with out any probs before that in a ty175 and when i had a dt175 mx Comp2 injector.