Txt Cooling Fan Motor Replacement

vmeldrew

I think this is good enough to pin on the forum. There are lost of old posts on here with people trying to replace fans without being raped (financially).

Within a few weeks of this post my own fan failed so I bought the fan VMeldrew suggested and replaced it. The next post show how to do it. Well worth it in my opinion.

The motor I used I got from here as suggested by VMeldrew.

• 5 weeks later...

This was all done on a 2009 GG so earlier bikes may differ slightly on the removal and refit process for the radiator and fan assembly. The fan motor change-out should be the same though. This whole process was easy and took about 45mins. The motor was £11 including next day delivery.

Sorry but I can't work out how to put the pictures in the right order or place. Maybe Andy will edit it for me. Picture four shown the complete assembly and the new motor.

Remove the radiator and fan from the bike.

This is easy enough and only requires the tank taken off, remove the coil bolts, disconnect the CDI unit and pull the wiring out of the way to gain good access. Remove the top and bottom radiator hose clamps then the two screws holding the bottom and one holding the top of the radiator to the frame. Disconnect the thermostat wiring at the connector in the wiring loom and also the final remaining connector to the fan. The whole thing should now pull out to the left hand side of the bike.

Remove the fan assembly from the radiator.

This is pop riveted in place. Using a drill, drill out the two pop rivets being careful not to drill down in to the radiator matrix.

Remove the water/dirt seal.Picture three

This rubber boot is actually glued on so you have to peel it back the best you can and use a sharp knife to gently cut the between the body and the rubber to remove it without cutting through the boot.

Remove the old motor.Pictures 1 & 2 (Note picture two shows how to hold the unit while punching out the shaft. It wasa taken after the fact so shown bottom of motor knocked out.

This was the bit I was unsure about. Place the fan assembly in a vice and using a small punch (I couldn’t find one in the garage so used a ground down nail) hammer the shaft out of the brass bush. It was pretty stiff even after heating with a fine torch. In fact it was cold when I finally decided to hit it harder and it started to move. Part of the reason is that you are actually hammering the shaft out of the motor at the same time (i.e breaking it). There is no other way as the screws that hold the motor to the body are under the fan. Anyway it came out pretty easily once I was confident enough to hit it. Once the fan is out unscrew the two screws holding the motor to the body and withdraw it. Picture 5 shows the two screws that hold the motor to the unit underneath the fan.

Unsolder the wires.

Self explanatory really. Just unsolder the two wires and through the old motor away.

Now reassemble in the reverse order. But before you start take note.

1. There is no indication on the old or new motor which terminals is which so I connected a DC power supply to them to make sure I got the motor direction right before I resoldered the wires to the new one. A 9v PP3 or 12v car battery would do if your stuck. On my bike the wire with the red strip was the positive but your may be different.

2. When you come to hammering the fan back on the new motor you MUST make sure your don’t just do as you did taking the old one out and destroy the motor. Make sure you place the back end of the motor shaft on something so that your hamming against it or you could just push the motor part hammering it together again.

3. Finally glue or silicon seal the rubber boot back in to place before refitting it to the bike.

post-25-001258700 1287646980.jpg

post-25-080896900 1287647071.jpg

post-25-064991200 1287647096.jpg

post-25-018814100 1287647132.jpg

post-25-094581500 1287647157.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the money saving tip! I'm going to be doing this procedure soon. If the fan motor is squealing, is that a sign that it is ready to fail? My 07 fan has been squealing and I've been oiling the bushing which helps but I can still hear the fan motor winding down when I shut the engine off.

• 1 month later...

I changed my one before it failed as it was squealing so you could hear it 100 yards away.

why oh why couldnt I have seen this before buying one for the gg during the summer!!!loked everywhere for a cheap replacement then fnally bit the bullet!

why oh why couldnt I have seen this before buying one for the gg during the summer!!!loked everywhere for a cheap replacement then fnally bit the bullet!

Just got my replacement from cornwall boat shop, keep looking at it and putting it off, dont really fancy attempting it!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

• 4 months later...

• 3 months later...

Hey,

I just want to throw this into the thread, I have a fan that squeeled for several years... when it would squeel, I pull back on the rubber cap, drip a couple drips of yamaha super lube on the exposed bearing, it would run a month or more then need it again.

it never did fail, until son wrecked the bike busting the fan, at which time I had to get whole fan shroud unit...

This seems more likely to be caused from Power Washing and getting water under that cap, IMHO. But I am not sure nor an expert. I do stay the hell away from fan motor when washing... :popcorn:

• Like 1