Txt Cooling Fan Motor Replacement

vmeldrew

• 4 months later...

• 5 months later...

For the squeel ; Try adding to your servicing a "tiny" drop of oil applied to the shaft end (the end under the ribber cover) "1" drop every 6 mth is enough. Will probably give you a much longer fan motor life. The squeel is just the bearing being a little dry. For my part never wash the bike with a power hose as its death to the suspention articulation as well. If you must be posh a bucket and sponge is much better :)) Regards

• 5 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Trialers,

do we have a cheap fix for this fan? It is outof a Pro250 year 2002.

It looks like this electromotor is complete package, right?

DSC_0846.jpg

DSC_0843.jpg

Old question but the answer to it is that the older motors are common to Japanese roadbikes, a few years ago I bought the fan unit from a Honda VT250 which has the same numbers on it & the included fan blades were even the same, the plug had an earth wire but I changed the plugs over to suit

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here's a money saving tip if you're a plonker like me; If you hear noise from the fan intermittently then check to see that any cables, tubes or wires are interfering. I noticed the fan made noise after big drop offs and finally figured out that one of the radiator overflow tubes was rubbing on the fan. Silly me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Old question but the answer to it is that the older motors are common to Japanese roadbikes, a few years ago I bought the fan unit from a Honda VT250 which has the same numbers on it & the included fan blades were even the same, the plug had an earth wire but I changed the plugs over to suit

Hi thanks for this info. Mine is a year 2000 TXT 280 (before the pro model) and I searched ebay for honda 250 fans from older bikes and found one for a fiver. The only difference was the 3 mounting holes, I had to used a grinder to cut away at the mounts as they werent as the above photo with the end gaps. But fitted now and works spot on!

Here's a money saving tip if you're a plonker like me; If you hear noise from the fan intermittently then check to see that any cables, tubes or wires are interfering. I noticed the fan made noise after big drop offs and finally figured out that one of the radiator overflow tubes was rubbing on the fan. Silly me.

THere isn't much room in there so very easy to catch a wire or plug on the fan when fitting the tank! I also had this issue.

• 1 month later...

I found a way to remove the motor without destroying it. You drill a couple of holes in the fan to access the two motor mount screws. Then when you tap out the shaft, the motor will fall out. You can now lube both bearings if squealing and replace the motor. Put some tape on to cover the drilled holes when finished. You could also try pulling the fan. The fit isn't as tight as before on mine and I can pull off and push on the fan without much effort.

I ordered a motor from a US source and it looks like it will fit. Geeks use these motors to build robots.

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5151-RS-540-Motor-12V.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is an 07. When mine started squealing a several years ago I kept lubing it and it lasted another year before burning out. If you drill the fan like my tip, you could probably get more life by lubing both ends of motor.

Here's a cheap motor that might work but the shaft isn't round. You could put epoxy in it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0096BJ92E/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_1

I burned out a Graupner Speed 500E motor after a few years which is actually a Mabuchi motor with a sticker on it. Right now I'm using a motor pulled from a O2 Cool 10 inch portable fan.

• 1 month later...

Done mine last week, ordered motor from model shop leeds.

Great job, a little patience is all that is needed.

I used a two part split bearing puller to support the motor housing when knocking out the fan blades.

Take your time and think about it and dont be scared to hit the motor shaft with a small punch to release it from the fan blades.

• 1 month later...

Mine died today, unfortunatly couldnt get the blades of without damaging. Friend of mine probably has some old ones left so will try again. After destroying it, it did all fit, so t should be possible :)

Also had some fun with the radiator mounting bolds

Will need to weld the bar between those mounting points so bit more work to do!

5525ade6d99ec.jpg 5525ade74087e.jpg 5525ade795b91.jpg 5525ade7f3f2a.jpg

Edited by crazybond700