159 Right Foot Brake

penno350

Is it feasible to convert a 159 to right foot brake acceptiing there may be some loss in braking power? I just find it more instinctive having ridden left foot gear change all my life and still riding on the road, I think I'm just too old to re-tune my brain and have enough to concentrate on in a section rather than which foot to press!!

If you never rode right side shift, you aint old! :wall:

I enjoy riding my 199 right side shift, although I have to be carefull about jumping back and forth between bikes. It takes about 20 minutes to program my brain for one or the other.

I believe 159s were wrong side shift in the U.S. at least, so ifyou must, it should be doable.

Edited by motovita

I have a 159 as well. You can go about it 2 ways. 1st is to convert it to a cable operated rear brake like the 199 series. You will need to buy a left side shifter and a right side brake pedal as well as the cable. you can get them from bultaco uk or hughs bultaco. you would have to have some tabs welded on the frame for the cable to mount to and something rigged to mount the brake. Or you you can get an Alpina type non conical rear wheel and use a rod operated right side brake. (later model alpina's had l/s sprocket r/s brake.) I know someone who did this conversion and it works really quite well. My 159 frame actually already has the hole drilled on the right side of the frame where the brake can mount to . I tried and tried to get used to left side braking and it just doesn't work for me. I have the bits to convert it but haven't had the time to do so. Plus I ride my 199B more frequently and its already set up right side brake

Steve

If you run your shifter up high, as most seem to, there's no need to move the shift lever to the left to install a right side brake. I've often thought the ultimate setup might be brake pedals on both sides. I wonder if it's been done.

Hey Steve could you post a photo of the rear frame/fender mounts of your 199B? I want to convert my 199A and I've never seen a 199B in person.