Top Tips For A New Bike

chr155_d

When I bought a used 2004 Sherco and attempted to tighten the spokes up - I found that the spokes and nipples had siezed tight. Also when I took the front tire off to put on a new one I found the inside of the aluminum rim to be pretty corroded. The previous owner rode through a lot of creeks and rode all winter and the wetness must have corroded the spokes as it takes a long time for water inside the wheel to dry out....especially in the winter.

On my new 2009 Sherco I put a waxy mineral oil based rustproofing on the spokes where the nipples attach to the spoke and where the nipples pass through the rim. This product is mineral oil based and never dries completely, and will allow movement when the spokes are adjusted. I put it on with a squeeze bottle and when it had dried for a couple of days I wiped off the excess.

I also think it is important to keep the rear suspension bearings greased, and the rear brake pedal bushing is not sealed and needs to be taken apart and cleaned and greased fairly often.

I also think it is important to keep the rear suspension bearings greased, and the rear brake pedal bushing is not sealed and needs to be taken apart and cleaned and greased fairly often.

I bought a new Sherco and stripped the rear suspension bushes down to give them some extra grease only to find they were completely dry from new. Well worth doing!

Hi Chris, is there going to be a shiny new Sherco at Bellwanders on the 10th?

I just replaced half a dozen or so spokes to straighten the front wheel of a Sherco - didn't mess about trying to unsieze the old ones, just cut them and threaded in the new ones (tricky but a lot easier than heating nipples only for them to break anyway)! Spokes are cheap. I dare say that had someone taken the time to protect them from day one then they'd never had rusted in the first place? Well worth doing if you're looking at keeping the bike for a few years?

A generous coat of petroleum jelly (vaseline) inside the rims will help prevent / reduce the galvanic corrosion between the spoke nipples and alloy wheel.

Definitely grease ALL bearings as factory fresh ones are guaranteed to be lacking. Double check all fasteners for your own piece of mind even if the dealer has PDI'd it. Last but not least - lashings of WD40 after a good clean and dry (not on the brakes though for obvious reasons) then some silicone spray and it'll look good for decades.................apart from the scratches, chips, scores, cracks and dents of course ;)

GJ :wall:

I think the others have hit the high points here. I will only add that I seem to have had good luck over time by taking the time to remove each spoke nipple and packing it with silecone paste(DC111 compound).

This level could be considered as excess, unless you plan on keeping the bike, can make a difference long term. Seems to work soo far! But it does require some time in the shed.

Hi all,

To new sherco models (2010/11) it is worth to flush througly the alluminium gas reservoir, as well as the Dell'Orto vacuum gas pump, lines included. The manufacture of ally produces lot of tiny particles that may interfere with the pump operation. Fit a in-line filter before the pump also is a good tip. In the electrical part, now it's the time to waterproof with silicone all the connections. Best check the screw connection of the spark-plug cap and HT coil and reinforce it with thermoretractile sleeves. You may also fit a better quality spark-plug cap (all-silicone without resistance).

Cheers and seize your bike!

JM.

after you wash and dry your bike spray it with silicone spray. watch you dont get it on the brakes .it protects your spokes ,plastics electrics etc ,+when you wash the bike the dirt comes of easier. we have done it for years and keeps them looking like new.