Getting started what to look for in a bike.....

benspray

Hi all,

Got the 315 back home, just ended up taking the rear wheel and mudgaurd off and the fuel tank and laying it in the back of the car, would have gone in without but wouldnt have been able to close the boot :)

All seems ok, wheel bearings, fork seals etc look ok although I think it may need the rear link doing as there is a bit of play up and down when its on a stand.

I'll continue that part of the thread in the Montesa section though after some seaching first as I have some general questions about chain grease/tension/bar positioning etc....

I was just wondering apart from the trials listed on the Eastern ACU site are there ever any practice days/meets? I've had a bit of a go at home for an hour or so and I'm starting to get the hang of balancing it while standing still although I can only manage 20-30 seconds at the moment and I think Im moving more than I should be ie Im constantly correcting it each way but I think I'll get it :) I can ride it at a crawling pace in a straight line but can only manage to do about a 90 degree turn in the (7 foot wide at a guess but with fences and things to fall into if I mess up) private road at the back of my house at the moment so I think I could do with a bit more space to try some turns etc before I can tighten them enough to do it happily at home, I need to get some oil now to make up some premix before I can do too much more as its nearly out of the fuel that was in it when I collected it :)

Cheers

Ben

Great thanks Wherry, I went out to Corton yesterday (I was in Oulton Broad anyway) to have a look to see if I could see where the area was, if I was in the right place it had a gate accross a little track so didnt want to nose about :) will get it booked and go back though once I get a rack etc sorted out.

I had heard there was somewhere in Wrentham as well but didnt know anything much about that one - will have to find out once I'm sorted :)

Sounds a good plan, I'd certainly be up for meeting up sometime if we can all arrange it - wouldnt mind someone else who knows 315's checking that Ive set things up right as well before a proper trial! (I've started a thread in the Montesa section with a load of silly questions in!)

Only now can I fully appreciate how difficult some of the sections (that a lot of the riders where making look very easy!) actually are going to be, I'm going to look a right idiot at the first trial I go to all kitted up (the guy sold me his trials trousers/top/gloves and a helmet) and falling off all the time! Just need to get some decent boots at some stage but for now I have some army boots which I'll have a go with I think.

Cheers

Ben

Just need to get some decent boots at some stage but for now I have some army boots which I'll have a go with I think.

Yes fine to all but your last sentence. One of my mates (an experienced road rider) had a go on my bike with his short road boots on. Came off and had his shin savaged by the footrest on the way past. I had to take him to A&E to have him stitched back together. Moral of the story:- You can get away with not having any of the kit, but helmet and proper boots are a must.

The boots are as tall as any of the trials boots people had at Stuston (a lot taller than my road bike boots) and pretty heavy duty leather and water proof etc, hence the thought - but fair point - I know whats on my (early) christmas list then ;)

Cheers

Ben

The boots are as tall as any of the trials boots people had at Stuston (a lot taller than my road bike boots) and pretty heavy duty leather and water proof etc

Oh they sound fine to get going with then. I imagined some polished toecap black ankle boots!

Thanks to all who have posted in here! I'm new to petrol powered trials and this has been a massive massive help in looking for a first bike. I've been glued to this forum over my night shift and god not much work done!

This thread has helped and given me an insight into the different bikes.

Taaa :)

Bongo

Thanks to all who have posted in here! I'm new to petrol powered trials and this has been a massive massive help in looking for a first bike. I've been glued to this forum over my night shift and god not much work done!

This thread has helped and given me an insight into the different bikes.

Taaa :)

Bongo

Welcome and let us know what you go for and how you get on. I'm not sure if anyone else has suggested it but it's always a good idea to join one of your local clubs. Go along to a couple of events, have a chat with some people and have a look generally what's going on. You'll see what bikes are popular locally and see what the sections look like. You'll probably find that with your experience you'll be looking at the more advanced stuff straight off - A lot of bike triallers do very well at moto trials.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I read the entire topic and I found nobody mentioned about 'availability' of spares for different bikes. So, I would be interested to find out which models (beta, gas gas, sherco etc) are expensive/cheap to maintain. Also, I would be interested in the spares availability on online stores. There must be some models for which it is difficult to find spares or they are more expensive than others.

Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks.

:) you are right but I would expect fair people saying what they know from their group. I'm sure in the same group people have different bikes and sometimes hear people complaining about expensive parts or about not finding a specific part for their bike. I'm talking here about parts you can change/fix at home (plastics, levers, bearings, seals, filters etc).