Fun Trial - Gate Style Format in MI on 11/7/10

kjax

Hi all,

Announcing the second annual "Scot Hop" Gate Trial on November 7, 2010 in Oxford, MI. It is a fun trial, with no cost to ride and no series points in the MOTA schedule. It will use the Gate Trial Format which is blast for anyone who has not ridden that style of event. It's all about trying to get as many points as possible! Great opportunity for riders of any caliber to excel.

A work day is set for Sunday 10/31 to set up and ride. The sections are reallly all cut in, so it's mostly riding actually. That's so we can establish the various gates for the gate trial format. Unless someone gets the idea to hack in a new section.....hmmmmm.

Some serious BS might be exchanged- don't miss it.

Event is set for Sunday 11/7/10 at 11:00am. (it gets dark early!) Will keep Saturday 11/6/10 as potential alternate if weather looks like a big issue as we get closer. Final ribbon hanging will happen on Saturday 11/6/10.

Classes are Vintage, Novice, Int, Advanced, Expert. (possible extra class called "Stupid - Go Big" may be added) Eight Sections - 3 laps (?)

Some things needed; Jim Gawne has designed a great new scorecard for the Gate trial format. On event day, we need someone to bring punches - at least eight so we can hang one at each section. It will be peer style scoring. On the work weekend before the event, some wooden stakes (thin and light will work best)will help. Blue and white ribbon is also needed for perimeter marking. I have other various colors for the different gates.

No concerns with pre-riding/working and actually riding the event- it's all for fun. Anyone can ride/work/compete/sign-up/win/loose/fall/quit/or put their feet down in any combination they choose. :banana2:

I am thinking there will be awards after all...... a cold beer for the winner of each class. Let's see, if everyone donates one beer at sign up that might just do it. Let me count......uggghhh, now I am confused.

The hell with it, PBR for everyone...... Nothin' but the best! :blink:

E-mail Keith at kja5705@gmail.com for address and phone number if needed.

Plenty of parking, bring anything you want. Bonfire will be there if someone wants to torch it. Grill for you gourmet types too. Heated garage if needed. Can even work out a restroom arrangement for the ladies.

Last years event was full month later (in December) it was cold, so that's why we went a bit earlier this year. Here is link to some photos from last year.

http://www.motatrials.com/gallery/category/11-funfest.html

http://www.motatrials.com/gallery/11-funfest/detail/410-dsc01940.html?tmpl=component

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Announcing the second annual "Scot Hop" Gate Trial on November 7, 2010 in Oxford, MI. It is a fun trial, with no cost to ride and no series points in the MOTA schedule. It will use the Gate Trial Format which is blast for anyone who has not ridden that style of event. It's all about trying to get as many points as possible! Great opportunity for riders of any caliber to excel.

A work day is set for Sunday 10/31 to set up and ride. The sections are reallly all cut in, so it's mostly riding actually. That's so we can establish the various gates for the gate trial format. Unless someone gets the idea to hack in a new section.....hmmmmm.

Some serious BS might be exchanged- don't miss it.

Event is set for Sunday 11/7/10 at 11:00am. (it gets dark early!) Will keep Saturday 11/6/10 as potential alternate if weather looks like a big issue as we get closer. Final ribbon hanging will happen on Saturday 11/6/10.

Classes are Vintage, Novice, Int, Advanced, Expert. (possible extra class called "Stupid - Go Big" may be added) Eight Sections - 3 laps (?)

Some things needed; Jim Gawne has designed a great new scorecard for the Gate trial format. On event day, we need someone to bring punches - at least eight so we can hang one at each section. It will be peer style scoring. On the work weekend before the event, some wooden stakes (thin and light will work best)will help. Blue and white ribbon is also needed for perimeter marking. I have other various colors for the different gates.

No concerns with pre-riding/working and actually riding the event- it's all for fun. Anyone can ride/work/compete/sign-up/win/loose/fall/quit/or put their feet down in any combination they choose. :banana2:

I am thinking there will be awards after all...... a cold beer for the winner of each class. Let's see, if everyone donates one beer at sign up that might just do it. Let me count......uggghhh, now I am confused.

The hell with it, PBR for everyone...... Nothin' but the best! :blink:

E-mail Keith at kja5705@gmail.com for address and phone number if needed.

Plenty of parking, bring anything you want. Bonfire will be there if someone wants to torch it. Grill for you gourmet types too. Heated garage if needed. Can even work out a restroom arrangement for the ladies.

Last years event was full month later (in December) it was cold, so that's why we went a bit earlier this year. Here is link to some photos from last year.

http://www.motatrials.com/gallery/category/11-funfest.html

http://www.motatrials.com/gallery/11-funfest/detail/410-dsc01940.html?tmpl=component

Seems you are having too much fun with this, wish I could attend! :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

It was a great day made for a great event. Sunny, dry and 50-60 degrees! Perfect weather and riding conditions. We had 30 riders in five classes. We also had at least that many spectators (many of whom normally ride). It seems that many guys are getting new bikes and have sold theirs already- and are "in between". It also looks like we will have a few new trials riders in 2011 as "crossover guys" from the world of off road. Some of our riders made the trip from IN, western MI and southern MI. Jim Gawne was our grand champ with 1950 points. Hope you got to see him ride the big rock section, it was great! :thumbup: For his efforts he received a set of "Beer Goggles" courtesy of Dan Janette. All other class winners received a can of chain lube, courtesy of Jeff Pollack. The fun trial format is so cool, low pressure with all of the fun.

A few burgers and brats were consumed afterwards and as far as I can tell, more than a few beers were enjoyed by the masses. :beer: There were some photos taken....hope to have them soon to post.

Hope everyone had a great time..... see ya next year. Same time- same place!

Results:

NOVICE

Dan Brendell

Mark Dorner

Tim Logan

Dan Janette

Alan Eiscle

Ed Logan

Larry Corbin

Jim McVicar

VINTAGE

Cal Crum

INTERMEDIATE

Don Keener

Cam McGee

Craig Bordman

Jeff Pollack

Jeff McGee

Chuck Jones

Deb Boardman

Travis Howard

Don Tudethout

Chuck Howard

Mont Annis

Bob Watson

Dick DeBolt

ADVANCED

Josh Mohre

Daryl Gans

Randy Arndt

Jordan Peters

EXPERT

Jim Gawne

Joe Mason

Mason DeBolt

Grey Howard

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I could not make it for the event Kjax. I hope my input the week before was well recieved. Thanks for letting me play for what little I was there. I was wondering if anybody took the down hill line in expert off that rock into the impossible landing. I just want to know who the equally crazy people were... misery loves company hahaha.

--Biff