can-am

fergie

A friend's father has a can-am mono that he might sell. I don't know the year of it. Can anyone one give me any advice when looking at it. He says he has not started it in a couple of yrs. and it has sat most of the last 15-20 yrs. Only starting occasionally. Any problems with the mono can-am's. All I know about them is that they were made by Armstrong in England until 1987 and they had a Rotax motors. I know chassis parts will be difficult to find. Are these bikes competetive with other mono's of the day. Also, what size rotax motors were in these bikes? Thanks for any info you can give me. Cheers, Fergie.

Edited by fergie

Fergie:

I am up in Shawnigan and probably one of the few to ever actually ride one of those things at all back in the day. I believe they were fairly bulletproof but heavy compared to anything else back then! If you can get it for a good price and it starts OK it should be a good find!! YOu can PM me anytime if you want any more info!

cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve, I will get back to you if I pick it up. I used to have an old qualifier 175 can-am. I think they were fairly good bikes back in the day. The rotax motors were very durable and powerful if I remember correctly. I just don't know anything about the trials models. There does not seem to be much info on them on the net. I do like can-am's and also trials bikes so it seems like a no brainer. What do you think a resonable price would be for one in decent shape?

I think that would be an 300AT. 278CC if I remember correctly. Aluminum backbone frame, drum brakes. Good motor though slow and heavy. Roughly the same engine as the Aprilia TX312 and SWM 280. I think the only other monoshock trials Armstrong was a limited prototype of the 350 but I don't believe they ever got out of England.

I had a few Can-Am trials bikes, A CMT310, a 350 and a 300AT.

For $1500-$2000 you can probably find a much newer bike for which you can easily get parts and is significantly better performing.

• Like 1

So the bike in question is a 1987 AT300, the last model year for all Can-ams. He has not decided if he is selling it yet. Apparently it is a very low hour bike and is in great shape. The classic can-am webpage has a value list for all can-ams and it says that it should be worth about $1300. If I can get it for that I think I will take it

Edited by fergie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi the Cam-ams are the same as Armstrongs, If your lucky you can find one of the 10 ccm t240 or 280. The ccm bikes were on loan to the British army for the ssdt in 1987, the bikes have the rotax engine so the kick start is the problem there, but easy to fix now. the front end is all the same as the twin shock 240 310 320. gremco hubs and marazocky(not to sure of the spelling)35mm the only thing you will have a problem with is body work. eg tank and rear mudguards. the suspension is white power, have seen a rear mudguard on e bay some time ago so maybe a mould... as for the ride, I have heard from a very good sorce that the then works rider Steven Saunders rode the bike and then did one to Fantic as he could not ride the bike. The Jcm europa, montesa 310, Tlr 250, gasgas, and the Fantic all have small problem with each but are better in a section....

but you can count on one hand the amount of them left... which makes then worth the extra dolla. I would buy one if i could but none around in the uk worth the time of day...

Rode these in the 1986 SSDT for the Army Team, good bike with some good parts fitted only one problem Yamaha brought out a certain TY250 Mono and the rest is history!!

post-516-033538900 1288640138.jpg

post-516-021525800 1288640218.jpg

Colin Cass looking on!!

post-516-049264900 1288640241.jpg

Anybody takes the p*** out of the hair style.............''I'll Kill Ya'' B)

Armstrong was started by Alan Clews of Clews Competition Motorcycles(CCM)he is the one on the right in the last photo, having had '83 and '84 on Fantic Motor we had to ride the Armstongs as the Alan Clews had just picked up the contract to provide the Military Motorcycle.

Just found the article from T&MX

post-516-005359300 1288640801.jpg

Edited by GIZZA5

The pics are cool. good to see some real history, so where does the ccm come in to this, A frinend of the family had the job of bringing the bikes back from the ssdt and I can remember the bikes beeing in the garage at home all with the ccm tanks there was x2 of them and all having the front fork damaged round the clamp bolts for the spindal. could this be in 1987.

As for the kick start problem... was talking to some one at a trial and had just go some parts from the usa for the rotax and am sure some time on the net and you could find it, he did give me the name of the place but it has gone now memery like a fish...

• 4 weeks later...

An old mate bought two brand new ones back in the day, modded the one to take two disc brakes (he was a clever chap).....I recall them being very solid bikes but, the engine seemed quite flat compared to my old TY mono I was riding at the time.

I think both of his bikes were the 240cc versions?, lovely alloy frame if I recall though.

I had chance to buy one of his old bikes about three years ago but turned it down, it was going for a song too.......I dare say I'll regret not buying it!!.

How is Gordon... not seen him for a few years...

Hi Ya Andy, good to hear from you mate :rolleyes:

I have not seen Gordon for donkeys year now, not sure what he's up to......... I went to my first ever trial with him years back (Stourbridge trail at Hartelbury) :) .

Decent chap if a little set in his ways :unsure:.......you riding South shrophire in a couple of weeks?