New to trials just bought an '01 315r

benspray

Hi All

Thought I'd split this thread off from my thread in general as Ive now bought the bike and have it at home :)

I've spent some time searching on here and found answers to most of my questions but I still have a few.

Im totally new to trials, and obviously new to the bike as well, so I have some dumb/basic questions (sorry!), I'll be getting a towbar and rack soon hopefully so I can take the bike out to a few of the trials around the east anglia area.

1) How much fuel will I need to take to a trial, ie can I get away with a plastic 5 litre can of premix or shall I buy a metal 10 litre jerry can? was also wondering if the fuel would keep better in metal anyway? Also do I need to use super/97 octane?

2) What

Great news Ben - glad you got it home ok.

I cant answer all of your questions, but here are a few (bear in mind i've only been riding 1 year too!!);

1. A 4l can is fine, thats all i usually take with me.I leave mine in one of those green plastic things, and if i dont use it after a few weeks i put it in the lawnmower. Bit of a waste of oil i know, but the mower smells great!

2. I run my Sherco on 80:1. I started at 50:1 and had a few issues, since switching its all been fine. Use a good sythetic oil. i use this one. oil

3. need to see the chain really - the chain tensioner will take up the slack. doesnt sound too bad. You should use some proper chain lube.

4. Good set of allen keys, metric spanners & sockets, long screwdriver, etc should all be fine. be careful if you are tightening bolts into engine cases - they can strip easily. maybe a torque wrench? (Christmas not far off !) A low pressure tyre gauge is on my Christmas list. i guess its an essential, but at my level i have tended to concentrate on riding rather than worrying about tyre pressure. Not sure a bike pump is up to it, but never tried. i have a track stand pump.

5. cant comment on a Montesa choke. Mine is hidden away in a ridiculously tight spot under the tank. i have tied a cable tie to it to make it easier to find. there is a bit of adjustment in it (ie its not a switch)

Check the fluids (water) and that the fan works ok. Keep an eye on the water level regularly. Might be worth checking there is oil in the clutch too (as its an unkown)

Best of luck and hope to see you on the trails soon - perhaps i could borrow your tyre gauge? :blush:

Cheers :)

1) Good that'll do me then, I have a silver plastic can somewhere that I used to use for premix for the generator - if I can find that it will do the job and saves it getting mixed up with the various other green/red ones I have for the cars.

2) Cool, I just sorted out one of those squeezy bottles for measuring the oil out so looks like I was onto the right idea even if I wont need it if I buy that oil! (it was an old bottle that had some pond treatment in it - thought it would be ideal for the oil)

3) I'll have to take the chain off and give it and the sprockets a good clean up and get something a bit thinner I think - dont think the chain is stretched etc it seems good just neavy with grease :)

4) Cool, I'll see what I have spare in the garage and buy what I dont have over the next couple of months, I'm sure I have at least one spare set of allen keys, and proabbly a spare set of metric spanners, just bought myself a small range 3/8 drive torque wrench a couple of weeks ago (to tighten up the bolts on my plastic inlet manifold on the car - didnt fancy cracking that!) so hopefully sorted there :) I do like to have a set as it where of tools dedicated to a bike or whatever so I know where things are at least for the commonly used tools, at least that way when I go out I just need to grab the right toolbox, the fuel can and load up and get going, otherwise I'llworry that I've forgotten something :) Seen a gauge on ebay I quite like the look of, hadnt really looked at pumps just figured with the low pressure (although I guess theres still quite a volume of air in there due to the tyre size!) I may get away with a bike style pump - will look into whats available then...

5) The montesas location sounds similar - will have to see what others say about the switch nature of my choke :)

Fan goes on and off so Im pretty happy with that, will check the coolant while the tank is off as well, and also check the brake/clutch fluid levels and clutch/gearbox oil level, I'd planned to just check that for now while Im practicing at home and replace it before I do my first trial :) (I assume the cluthc and gearbox share oil, havent looked yet and I assume theres no filter in there they just rely on changes for clean oil)

Yep no worries :)

Cheers

Caddabs - Just seen your second reply, cheers thats the exact stand I have (expect mines zinc plated) bought it for the XR250 about 6 years ago and its still going strong although dont use it very often as that bike has a side stand and never needs any work really.

The Mont doesnt have a side stand - not sure if they do as standard and its been taken off or whether its an add on but either way I'm glad I had the stand (especially when I got it home and had to lift it out of the boot of the car and put the rear wheel back on).... :)

Stand - some people seem to love them, some seem to hate them and take them off immediately. Personally I like them so I can park my bike anywhere and not have to worry about finding something to lean it against. Just seems much more of a PITA to not have one.

Re. Choke. It's either on or off. If the carb is doing funny things you'll need to take it off and make sure all the passage ways and jets are free from obstructions. While you're at it make a note of what jets you've got in there.

Ok thanks Wherry,

Re the side stand personally I would have quite liked one - Im getting used to not having it when Im at home and I can rest the bike on the garage or just get the paddock stand out - but I can see it being a pain at a trial having to either rest the bike somewhere or hold it all day - may look out for one on ebay that someone has taken off....

I'll add a carb strip and clean to my to do list :) may have a go at getting it off at least tonight - will I need any gaskets though if I start pulling it apart or are they re-usable?

If I post the jet numbers up would you/someone be able to tell me if they are the correct sizes as a starting point (think I may have a different carb on an '01?)

Theres a chance the bike may have been a bit warm still when I started it but it had about 4 hours in the back of the car to cool down from the 10 minute run I gave it when I picked it up so I would have thought it would have been pretty cold by then - but even so I wouldnt have expected it to rev like it did.

Re the side stand. I may look out for one on ebay that someone has taken off....

Sounds like a plan

I'll add a carb strip and clean to my to do list :) may have a go at getting it off at least tonight - will I need any gaskets though if I start pulling it apart or are they re-usable?

If I post the jet numbers up would you/someone be able to tell me if they are the correct sizes as a starting point (think I may have a different carb on an '01?)

Theres a chance the bike may have been a bit warm still when I started it but it had about 4 hours in the back of the car to cool down from the 10 minute run I gave it when I picked it up so I would have thought it would have been pretty cold by then - but even so I wouldnt have expected it to rev like it did.

No you won't need any gaskets. You'll find things much easier if you take off the whole airbox - see how you get on.

The pilot jet is the one that sometimes partially blocks on mine (PHBH) as they have such small holes in them. You'll only have the one in your carb. Don't forget the banjo screen on the fuel-in port. Have seen these pretty blocked before. Someone will know what jets should be in an '01.

Whilst I think of it peel back your throttle grip a bit and tell us what colour the plastic tube (that the grip goes on) is. Probably be white which is a fast throttle. You may find things easier to get started if you buy yourself a black (slow) one. It'll just go straight on. There's a difference in the internal cam shape that alters how the throttle advances at low revs.

Cheers wherry

I'll give it a look I was wondering how easy it was going to be removing it! I did a carb swap on the xr250 a couple of months ago and that was tight and it's a much larger bike. ...

Re the throttle I haven't checked but the guy did say it had the black slow/learner throttle on there but I will take a quick look while I'm going over it.

Cheers

Ben

The chokes are bad to turn off / on especially with gloves on. When you have the carb off file a grove in either side of the plastic lever and put a thin cable tie around, its easier to pull the cable tie to switch the choke off than trying to get your finger in behind the frame.

Also the gear box oil filler is behind the clutch banjo bolt, it's very inacessible. For every 100ml of oil you get in the gearbox you get 200ml on the garage floor. I used to remove the clutch cover lie the bike on it's side and pour the oil in there. Its got a reusable O ring.

Regards Scragg

Cheers, yeah I found out tonight just how badly placed the oil plug is! not entirely sure how you check the level so I'll give it another look tomorrow - didnt have a lot of daylight when I got home (dont have lights in the garage a the moment)....

The bike started up from propery cold tonight on choke and didnt rev as high as it has been so I think it is a bit clogged from sitting but I've pulledthe carb anyway.

I was surprised how quick and easy it was to get the carb off once Id figured out how to remove the throttle cable - my wife walked up at that stage and asked if that big spring was actually meant to be on the outside :(

Checked and it is a black throttle tube so sorted there...

Jet wise I have a 110 main, 36 pilot and the clip is in the 3rd groove on the needle counting down from the flat top looks like the needle says 37 on it, havent checked the adjustment on the screws yet but will count them in and remove them tomorrow. Theres a bit of wear on the little shafts that come out of the floats ie a little flatened but not too bad, apart from that its really nice and clean inside although once the fuel has evaporated its left quite a sticky oil residue, Im wondering if it is just a bit blocked from sitting unused for a while with fuel in the float chamber....the only other thing I noticed is that the o ring on the choke jet which seals it into the bottom of the float chamber is quite flat on one side not sure if that would cause an issue - anyway I'll give it all a cleanup tomorrow hopefully, get it back together and refitted and get some fresh fuel before I put the fuel tank back on and start it again.

sorry for any missed letters or spaces - using a wireles keyboard tonight and it keeps playing up - correct what I hae noticed....

Jets sound OK. Maybe a bit lean on the main? I don't know what they are as standard so see how it goes for now. Might be worth getting yourself a can of carb cleaner to blow through all the jets and passages to get rid of any fuel/oil residues. Worn O-ring on the choke jet might explain your high revving. Caddabs got one of them from Splatshop I believe, or I've heard people rate Dellorto UK direct for carb bits. While you've got the carb off it'll be worth checking that the float height is right as well. With the carb upside down and float bowl off the measurement is 18.5mm from face of carb body to the 2 little brass tangs that the floats sit against.

Cheers Wherry,

I have downloaded the 2002 handbook which has a lot of info so Im sure will be helpful, according to that 110 main is standard but a 35 pilot/slow is standard so it has a slightly richer pilot jet in it it seems. It also specifically mentions checking the choke jet o-ring for wear/damage so I guess its a common thing, I may have a spare in my o-ring set but I think it could be a bit smaller than what I have.

Yep - I have a can left over from the rebuild I did on the xr250, that and various little needles and bag ies etc for cleaning jets - although the pilot jet on this does seem tiny not sure I have anything small enough for that but carb cleaner and compressed air should sort it all out hopefully.

I'll have a go at checking the float height as well while its all apart :)

Cheers

Ben

Quick update, stripped the carb down last night and cleaned everything up with carb cleaner - generally in pretty good condition however the choke assembly seems a bit knackered - there was dirt in the spring assembly which means its got past the tiny o-ring that seals the shaft - so I'm guessing it could have been sucking air in throguh there as well, all cleaned up now and its pretty worn so for now I'll put it all back together with a new o-ring on the choke jet and try sealing the choke assembly with a bit of grease on the shaft and under the lever - if that cures it then worse case it will be a new choke assembly soon - about