3TA Forks

labratmike

Hi. I'm new to Trials Central & usually ride enduros on my FE 400 Berg but.....

I've got a nice little Triumph 3TA which is running a 21" front wheel with a trials tyre. However the last owner did nothing to the forks. This means when I ride over speed humps or go trail riding the front mudguard fouls on the frame down tube. It's hitting hard enough that the mudguard then rubs on the front tyre and has been dented.

I know that I could put a spacer inside the forks to increase pre-load, and maybe I can use thicker fork oil, but I don't think this will be enough.

So I need help. Is there anywhere to get longer after-market stantions, or is there another Triumph that runs with longer forks? Any other popular fork mods?

Thanks a million

Edited by labratmike

• 2 weeks later...

This is something I've been researching recently as I am exploring ways of improving Triumph Trials Cub forks (=3TA type) for trials vs. making a set of "cartridge" forks with e.g. Fantic internals.

On the subject of "cartridge" forks I recently opened up a set of Honda TLR200 forks for a rebuild and the bearing surface in those is a plastic (Nylon /?) sleeve. Instead of turning down the donor fork's aluminium sliders, why not make (or source ?) a sleeve out of a suitable nylon material? Has anybody tried it?

Returning to the subject of 3TA/Triumph fork improvements I came across this article from Motorcycle Sport on this website; link below (this isn't a joke, scroll down past the gentleman in the "coalscuttle" helmet):

http://showandgo.blogspot.com/2009/12/triumph-desert-sled-fork-mods.html

......up to 8 inches of travel in a Triumph fork!

All very interesting but quite involved. Maybe somebody could tell us what fork components Sammy Miller used on the batch of Trials Cubs he created (mid 90's ?)? I remember a test of his Trials Cub conversion in a magazine and when SM was asked what components were in the forks he wasn't forthcoming. Around that time I was at an auction in Cornwall hoping to get a Kriedler 50cc Racer. SM was there and outbid everybody on the Kriedler and every C15 and Cub in the hall as well to supply his production line.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you thought of raising the mudguard to the bottom yoke like an Adventurer/Trophy Trail ? Easy and quick.

I am building a 3TA for LDT's and green lanes and have fitted a set of Trident forks, yokes and wheel re-laced to 18" with the Trident hub and single disc (not the easiest to find a trials pattern for admitted).

Going to have to fit some softer springs I expect due to the weight difference of course.

Alternatively you could look for 2" over legs from a custom/chopper source?

Cheers Bill

Edited by heavywrecker

• 2 months later...

I've just bought a C15 frame with 3ta engine. It seems ok and I am tols it has bultaco front forks...I'm not convinced as they have the Chrome type top nut...Maybe the internals are Bultaco ? or bottom half.

I'll try and find out more info and post it...Only picked it up Saturday.