4rt Maintenance Interval?

helmetfire

Hey-

I know what the manual says, but what are the "regular rider" maintenance intervals for the 4rt?

Cheers,

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

My 4RT gets a fairly easy life. A trial (riding or setting out) every couple of weeks and helping to set out enduro's and trailrides every 6 weeks or so. Doesn't see high revs.

I use fully synthetic engine oil and change it every 15 hours, filter every 30 hours. At 15 hours, oil is just starting to get dark in colour. I use 10 weight mineral hydraulic oil in the gearbox and change it every 15 hours as well- if I don't the clutch screeches. ELF oil is amazing stuff and I was leaving that 30 hours without problems but the price of it quadrupled here so had to find an alternative. ATF wasn't bad but the hydraulic oil seems better to me and is cheaper than the ATF. Clean the airfilter every couple of days riding - have two so always have a fresh one.

Checked the valve clearances at 450 hours, they were spot on. Am at around 520 hours now and is running really well.

Got two years out of a good quality non-o-ring MX chain and sprockets, run an X-ring now and it is amazing. Just no 'stretch' so far and maintenance is super easy. Give it a clean after every ride and a light oil with same 10 weight I use for the gearbox to keep rust at bay (tacky oil plus sand etc would make a perfect paste for wearing sprockets in my opinion). The X-ring was only $15 more than the MX chain.

Remove and regrease steering head bearings yearly, regrease shock linkage 6 monthly. Haven't had to replace either.

Works for me,

Andrew

Edited by stkman

Clean air filter every ride - have a spare and pre oiled one as bike is a pain to start with a freshly oiled filter.

Brake pads out every ride, de glazed and caliper pistons lightly oiled.

Oil change every 6 weeks or so (Normal fully synthetic oil in engine and ATF in clutch).

Oil filter every other change - oil the gasket and can normally get away with out changing.

Grease linkage bearings every 3 to 4 months - more often in winter. Change as required.

Have greased head bearings a couple of times as they do seem to need it.

Grease rear brake pedal pivot and chanin tensioner arm when doing linkage bearings.

Remainder just as and when they wear out.

PS

make sure you have a case saver on front sprocket

oversize bash plate worth having

Dont worry obout play in chain tensioner arm cos it will go like that what ever you try.

Clean air filter every ride - have a spare and pre oiled one as bike is a pain to start with a freshly oiled filter.

Brake pads out every ride, de glazed and caliper pistons lightly oiled.

Oil change every 6 weeks or so (Normal fully synthetic oil in engine and ATF in clutch).

Oil filter every other change - oil the gasket and can normally get away with out changing.

Grease linkage bearings every 3 to 4 months - more often in winter. Change as required.

Have greased head bearings a couple of times as they do seem to need it.

Grease rear brake pedal pivot and chanin tensioner arm when doing linkage bearings.

Remainder just as and when they wear out.

PS

make sure you have a case saver on front sprocket

oversize bash plate worth having

Dont worry obout play in chain tensioner arm cos it will go like that what ever you try.

Are you reading this perce?????????????