Greeves Pathfinder with Puch engine? Info please

supermotobloke

Hi

Can anyone tell me if they have information on the type of Puch engine that was fitted

to the Greeves Pathfinder? Big finned head.

Where can spares be sourced from? Complete engine? How much do you think if i can find one?

Look forward to your answers - can you email me direct please?

Cheers

The engine in the Pathfinder is a 175 Puch engine based on the ISDT and Motocrossengine.Best place to look is austria(ebay and jumbles)Or get in contact with Hartwig Kamerad from the 1st European Trialsmuseum in Ohlsdorf Austria.Hartwig got one of these bikes.We brought it in 1999 in bits from the IOM.

Here you can find the link to Hartwigs Musem site and his contactdetails.The guy who restored his Puch engine is a former employe of the Puch racing team,so he knows everything about the engine.

http://www.webermichl.at/museum/

Chrs:Mike

Edited by Ducman

The Pathfinder model by Greeves used the 6 speed, all alloy 169cc Puch motor manufactured at the company's factory at Graz in Austria. Developed for and used in many International Six Days Trials and specifically for Gelandesport (now enduro).

Only Mick Wilkinson really liked the Greeves Pathfinder bike when given one by the factory. His elder brother Bill hated them (he still does!)

Walther Luft (a very old friend of mine) used the 169 motor in a self made frame to win the Austrian Championship a couple of times but his version was heavily modified by him, being a very clever engineer.

I think the chap I met in 1970 that had a controlling hand in things at the Puch factory was former ISDT rider Hans Maditz who accompanied Luft and fellow Austrian Peter Bous to the Scottish Six Days in 1970. That was Lufts' first SSDT.

Hope this helps.

Big John

Edited by Big John

The Pathfinder model by Greeves used the 6 speed, all alloy 169cc Puch motor manufactured at the company's factory at Graz in Austria. Developed for and used in many International Six Days Trials and specifically for Gelandesport (now enduro).

Only Mick Wilkinson really liked the Greeves Pathfinder bike when given one by the factory. His elder brother Bill hated them (he still does!)

Walther Luft (a very old friend of mine) used the 169 motor in a self made frame to win the Austrian Championship a couple of times but his version was heavily modified by him, being a very clever engineer.

I think the chap I met in 1970 that had a controlling hand in things at the Puch factory was former ISDT rider Hans Maditz who accompanied Luft and fellow Austrian Peter Bous to the Scottish Six Days in 1970. That was Lufts' first SSDT.

Hope this helps.

Big John

Many thanks for all the replies to date.

Big John - i had an email from Hermann St

• 1 month later...

Hi

Can anyone tell me if they have information on the type of Puch engine that was fitted

to the Greeves Pathfinder? Big finned head.

Where can spares be sourced from? Complete engine? How much do you think if i can find one?

Look forward to your answers - can you email me direct please?

Cheers

Well the only difference between the trials engine and the enduro engine is on the stator plate, one has three wires (trials engine) and the other has five (enduro). None of them until this year would spark. This was due to not enough voltage coming from the coils. I tried replacing all the electrics with bits from other bikes all to no avail. then one of my electrical friends suggested using a CDI unit from a Honda Cub 90 as a replacement and two of my engines now spark beautifully!! these CDI units can be obtained from ebay for less than

I have two of these bikes both enduro models. One I have modded for trails but will put it back to enduro form soon. Great trail bikes and enduro bikes but the motor is not very good for trials. The bikes I have have the later non stock 5 speed motors in them and are fast. I have motocrossed them from time to time and done well in a vintage race in the 250 class. Motor parts are easy to get here in the USA. Gas tanks and seats are hard to find if you need them. Fun bikes I was just riding mine today.

I have three enduro fames and five engines thought they were all six speed (five for trials)(six for enduro)? one trials frame fixed footpegs.

none of the engines would spark have five engines but have fitted honda Cub C90 CDI unit to get more power and I have two engines sparking beautifully,

Have not got any end mufflers for the exhaust system ... do you know where they can be sourced from that would be great!!

I imported two of the bikes from the USA and i can tell you it is not good for the finances i got hit by customs they treat vintage bike parts as new here ....

beautiful bike tho ... have lots of spares tho ... wont tell you how much tho.

Can you tell me what 2 stroke mix to use ... and what size chain and how many links that would be helpful.

can send you pictures as if you could send ones of your enduros that would be the business!!

its new year and I have been down the pub so bit trollied at the moment,.

thank you for your reply as most of the bikes over here are trials ones and no light!!

You are riding one ... that is awesome.

have been sourcing parts for three years now and the penton boys and others with the same engine have not been very helpful they seem to think

that pathfiders are inferior in some way ... probably have most spares and pathfinder bits in UK but i have not ridden one yet they are supposed to be quick (revy)

but need muffler parts any idea where I can get any from?

modes44:aol.com if you can help

thank you.

Hi from the USA,

I have a Pathfinder trials in running condition. I have not competed on it yet but the prior owner did. So far I just ride it on my property. It has better pegs that have been lowered slightly and the ignition has been replaced with a PVL. Puch engine parts or rebuilds are pretty easy to get over here but the Greeves guy in California doesn't consider them a real Greeves and is now help at all. Actually he is down right rude if you ask him about the Pathfinder.

Regards, Dennis

Hi from the USA,

I have a Pathfinder trials in running condition. I have not competed on it yet but the prior owner did. So far I just ride it on my property. It has better pegs that have been lowered slightly and the ignition has been replaced with a PVL. Puch engine parts or rebuilds are pretty easy to get over here but the Greeves guy in California doesn't consider them a real Greeves and is now help at all. Actually he is down right rude if you ask him about the Pathfinder.

Regards, Dennis

Yeah Franks is rude when you ask him for Pathfinder parts. Motowest in Wisconsin has tons of Puch 175 parts and they are very nice to deal with.

Now if I could find parts for my Cotton Minerelli

I have two of these bikes both enduro models. One I have modded for trails but will put it back to enduro form soon. Great trail bikes and enduro bikes but the motor is not very good for trials. The bikes I have have the later non stock 5 speed motors in them and are fast. I have motocrossed them from time to time and done well in a vintage race in the 250 class. Motor parts are easy to get here in the USA. Gas tanks and seats are hard to find if you need them. Fun bikes I was just riding mine today.

Thank you for your reply!! I did have a go replying earlier but it got lost somewhere and i never found it again.

What interests me is if you can help on this one is the muffler on the enduro bike is it the same as the trials version as I have five exhausts and most of them are different lengths I think they have been modified in some way or other.

Could you let me know or give me a discription of what they are supposed to be as I may have to get a universal muffler and modify it somewhat to fit with some kind of welding or other to attach exhaust to the frame ...

With this new synthetic 2 stroke oil (if you use that) what would be the proper mix do you think I have some Motol 2T 720 100% synthetic that can be used to mix, any idea of the ratio 40 to 1 maybe?

Tyres I have a 400 x 19 rear enduro tyre (imported from the states with the bike) and not legal here may have to change tyres the others are 400 x 18! the 400 x 19 hits the rear chain guard so not so good.

Will let you know when I get it to run as the neighbours wont be too happy especially at 7am in the morning (great fun)!!

Do you have a picture of both of your enduros as I would be really pleased to see them together (need to see what goes where on my one ....) if you could that would be great!

I have also just found out after changing engines just now that the trials footpegs are attached to the swinging arm bolt (making them higher) thought they were welded, so totally differing position from the enduro and every frame is different, the aluminium mudguard from one enduro will not fit another one as the shape at the back alters I have four frames 3 enduro and 1 trials and they are all at different angles sloping upwards so will have to buy another rear mudguard for my other bike, which could be fun.

If you could be of any assistance with this one that would be awesome.

Thank you.

I owned a Pathfinder in 1971 as I recall, having exchanged a Bultaco for it. It was awful in comparison to Monts and Bults of the time and I only kept it for about 6 months.

My results on it were not very good, but I did ride it in the 1971 Welsh Two Day enduro of that year in the Otter Vale team and we won the best club team award. My fellow team members were Brian Higgins (now ACU Chairman) and Ian Haydon, though what they rode I can't remember. I exchanged it at Bob Gollner's shop for a Mk5 Montesa, which was also crap and kept that about 6 months before buying a Miller Bultaco in early 1972 ready for my first SSDT when I finished 64th I think.

Just found the details, I bought the Pathfinder on March 8, 1971 from Windsor Comp Shop, it was