Greeves Pathfinder with Puch engine? Info please

supermotobloke

Hi,

I have just unearthed an article I published in ORR by Bob Light about the Greeves Pathfinders, complete with several good photographs. I will try to get some on this post for you tomorrow.

I did have one myself, but found the performance was very limited until I fitted the aftermarket absorption silencer made for and marketed by Comerfords. That transformed the bike and I enjoyed it after that.

Cheers

Hi,

As promised, here is the first of my offroadarchive images, of the Greeves Pathfinder.

It shows the Greeves stand at the 1971 Motorcycle Show, with the Pathfinder all nice and clean!!

They rarely lasted very long in that state.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-67409900-1388561785_thumb.jpg

Hi,

And now a Greeves Pathfinder action shot from the offroadarchive.

Seen in the 1970 British Experts trial, Mick Wilkinson with his Pathfinder, which was fitted with the Comerfords absorption silencer which transformed the power delivery. Note the expert control, tight muddy section, awkward turn - clutch fully home.

That's the genius of a real expert.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-04073200-1388572714_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Hi,

Another offroadarchive Greeves Pathfinder, this time in private hands.

The rider is Pat Lamper, like many competition riders in the day rode scrambles all summer and trials through the winter to keep fit.

Photographed by Alan Vines in the 1970 John Douglas trial.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-16349000-1388575677_thumb.jpg

Hello Deryk thank you for the information & pictures you are posting on TC. Do you have a picture showing the Comerford silencer please. You are right about the original one, my bike ran very poorly with it fitted so most of the time I left it off, big performance gain but triple the noise.

Bill Wilkinson said that the one on his bike fell off when crossing the Forth Road bridge then bounced ??? into the river below.

I have a Pathfinder trials - very good condition but needs TLC (Don't they all?)

Is that Honda Cub 90 ignition swop a straight bolt-in? I'd like to do that because the pathfinder ignition is desperate!

What is the correct model bing carb used on that model? I have a feeling the one on mine is incorrect.

I am going to set up all my vintage 2 strokes to run on Motul 720 (or 800) at 40:1 . Then they all get filled from the same can and the Motul is as good as anything on the market.

Regards

David

Thank you for your reply!! I did have a go replying earlier but it got lost somewhere and i never found it again.

What interests me is if you can help on this one is the muffler on the enduro bike is it the same as the trials version as I have five exhausts and most of them are different lengths I think they have been modified in some way or other.

Could you let me know or give me a discription of what they are supposed to be as I may have to get a universal muffler and modify it somewhat to fit with some kind of welding or other to attach exhaust to the frame ...

With this new synthetic 2 stroke oil (if you use that) what would be the proper mix do you think I have some Motol 2T 720 100% synthetic that can be used to mix, any idea of the ratio 40 to 1 maybe?

Tyres I have a 400 x 19 rear enduro tyre (imported from the states with the bike) and not legal here may have to change tyres the others are 400 x 18! the 400 x 19 hits the rear chain guard so not so good.

Will let you know when I get it to run as the neighbours wont be too happy especially at 7am in the morning (great fun)!!

Do you have a picture of both of your enduros as I would be really pleased to see them together (need to see what goes where on my one ....) if you could that would be great!

I have also just found out after changing engines just now that the trials footpegs are attached to the swinging arm bolt (making them higher) thought they were welded, so totally differing position from the enduro and every frame is different, the aluminium mudguard from one enduro will not fit another one as the shape at the back alters I have four frames 3 enduro and 1 trials and they are all at different angles sloping upwards so will have to buy another rear mudguard for my other bike, which could be fun.

If you could be of any assistance with this one that would be awesome.

Thank you.

Edited by farmer58za

• 6 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

There are seven good photographs of the Greeves Pathfinder models - plus details of some of the exhaust improvements - in the first issue of the digital magazine, ORRe, available exclusively from 'tc' - see the link in the top right hand corner of the home page.

I am attaching another photograph with reasonable views of the Puch power unit, showing the creator of the Dalesman trials model my old mate Pete Edmondson, taking the propotype for a blast on Otley Chevin, photographed for Offroad Archive by Barry Robinson. The Dalesman story is also pencilled in for a future issue of ORRe.

Like Mike Rapley I also had a Pathfinder, which I bought 'new' from Wylde's (no relation) in Roundhay Road, Leeds and found it handled well but was never quite right, but greatly improved when I fitted the fibreglass absorption-type silencer developed by Reg May at Comerfords.

Enjoy.

Deryk Wylde

post-19290-0-83595700-1407480248_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...
On 8/8/2014 at 7:44 AM, laird387 said:

There are seven good photographs of the Greeves Pathfinder models - plus details of some of the exhaust improvements - in the first issue of the digital magazine, ORRe, available exclusively from 'tc' - see the link in the top right hand corner of the home page.

Hi,

Old post, can I still see this information please, if so how?

Thanks