'03 300 Pro Setup Questions

wardo

Hello All,

I just bought a very nice, low hour (20 or less hours)'03 300 Pro that is box stock except stiffer fork springs and fat bars. I've been riding a '04 Sherco 2.9 that I enjoyed very much, but when I decided to get a second bike I had to try a Gas Gas. From the moment I got on it the bike felt very comfortable... light but planted with easy predictable turning. Unfortunately, all the ledge at my house is covered with 12" of snow, so my impressions are limited to doing figure eights on an iced covered driveway. So far I've looked at the various threads to check on oil etc.... Having reviewed past posts, I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. What setup things should I check? I live at 1300', and ride in all temperatures, what jetting is recommended? Does the carb boot need a mod? Are there any other mods I should know about? Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Wardo

Wardo, first...congrats on the new purchase!

As far as setup goes, there is not much to do. I usually find the pilot jetting a little lean on most Pros for my liking, but that's personal, not required. I also always install a richer starter jet (stock is #60, I go #65). This makes it much easier starting on the choke in the cold and doesn't effect it negatively in the summer months.

Listen for signs of pinging or "pinking" that may indicate a lean condition and jet accordingly, but you'll not likely have any problems.

Change the tranny oil regularly, and as you've probably already read, the recommended fluid is ATF. See Jim Snell's site for technical details.

Always make sure the carb boot on the airbox side is fully attached to the carb. Some of the newer bikes use a little black adaptor on this connection and have been known to be installed incorrectly and let dirt directly into the carb.

If your going to ride alot of water, it's worth splitting the airbox and resealing the joints with RTV Silicone sealant.

Other than that, ride and enjoy!