4RT ECU RESET

dye29

DOES ANYONE NO HOW TO RESET ECU ON A 4RT AS MINE TAKES A GOOD 5 OR 6 GOOD KICKS TO START AND IT HAS HAD NEW SPARK PLUG ,AIR FILTER, FRESH FUEL AND IDLE SET AT 1800RPM BUT STRUGGLES TO START SO THOUGHT ECU MITE NEED RESETING REGARDS STE

DOES ANYONE NO HOW TO RESET ECU ON A 4RT AS MINE TAKES A GOOD 5 OR 6 GOOD KICKS TO START AND IT HAS HAD NEW SPARK PLUG ,AIR FILTER, FRESH FUEL AND IDLE SET AT 1800RPM BUT STRUGGLES TO START SO THOUGHT ECU MITE NEED RESETING REGARDS STE

open throttle 100% and kick it 3 times slowly, it should be ok then

Dont forget to push kill button afterwards. Never stall engine - always stop with kill button.

If it doesn't start first kick snap open throttle and press kill button. If still don't start then try the 3 slow kicks throttle open.

What year is your 4RT? The reason I ask is that I had an 05 (My son still has it.) and it was a great starter, generally first kick. I now have an 09 and it sometimes starts first kick, it often does not. I have to hold the throttle wide open and kick slowly once (I was told to kick three times initially.)to reset the ECU, then close the throttle and it will start first time.

I have heard others say the newer models are not as good at starting.

It's the idle speed. If I up the idle speed it will start reliably first time every time but the tick over so high its too fast in a section.

Regards Scragg

What year is your 4RT? The reason I ask is that I had an 05 (My son still has it.) and it was a great starter, generally first kick. I now have an 09 and it sometimes starts first kick, it often does not. I have to hold the throttle wide open and kick slowly once (I was told to kick three times initially.)to reset the ECU, then close the throttle and it will start first time.

I have heard others say the newer models are not as good at starting.

It's the idle speed. If I up the idle speed it will start reliably first time every time but the tick over so high its too fast in a section.

Regards Scragg

hy its a 05 its not bad its just anoying where as my mate has a 05 and he just lightly steps on his and it gos mine im forever kicking it and then eventualy it gos iv changed sparkplug ect

Check throttle cable is not too tight and holding throttle open slightly. Presume you adjusted tickover on throttle body air screw and not with cable adjuster on twist grip.

Make sure you have throttle closed when starting and not holding open slightly without knowing

I had some problems with my 2006 model starting first kick. To test the throttle cable I slackened it right off so that the throttle didn't open until about 1/8th of a turn. It did improve the starting but was too slack to ride properly. I eventually tightened the cable until it was ridable but starting wasn't so reliable. .

A few weeks later at a trial someone saw me kicking the bike (resetting the ECU with three gentle kicks) and mentioned that I was just opening the throttle slightly when kicking. For a while I got into the habit of putting my hand on the top of the throttle rather than the grip. It took a real conscious effort not to open the throttle when kicking the bike but I've mastered it now.

hy ive tryed everything new spark plug ,new airfilter, fresh fuel, cleaned the ht connecter,set the idle to 1800rpm but it sounds very high(is this normal)also checked throttle and its not to tight its just nice and still takes ages to start have i mist something regards ste

• 5 weeks later...

I found a very interesting document - details of a patent from Honda Motor Corp.. describing how the tilt sensor works and how the engine control unit (ECU) decides when the motorcycle has been given the proper input from ambient sensors, ie information from throttle potentimeter, water temepratur and how many revolutions the engine is running.

By looking at flow chart gives a better understanding of how the motorcycle is ready for ignition and fuel injection or put another way - how the engine management thinking!

It is very dry reading, but very educational - you are now warned.

Happy reading.

Follow this link

http://www.patsnap.com/patents/view/EP1619066A1.html

• 8 years later...
On 11/2/2010 at 4:29 AM, jimmyl said:

Dont forget to push kill button afterwards. Never stall engine - always stop with kill button.

If it doesn't start first kick snap open throttle and press kill button. If still don't start then try the 3 slow kicks throttle open.

Hi jimmyl

i done like what you say but only succes if i connect 12v battery oN my Montesa do you have any idea what i need tO looking for this problem?

Edited by Diaz