Sherpa Project

cmc84

Hi guys, first post here - my name is Chris, and I've been playing with trials bikes for about a year. I've just acquired a Sherpa, model 199 (possibly year 1979? - engine and frame numbers match, but can't remember anything else) which I'm in the process of rebuilding as a winter project. Not going for a show winner, but a good useable twinshock that I won't mind getting dirty. Seem to have 90% of the original parts, give or take what I bin/ruin, and is all going to plan so far, but I could use some advice on a few wee problems (and there will probably be more as I go...)

I've just had inserts machined and brazed on to correct oval-ed holes for the swing arm pin, and have managed to salvage and paint a complete exhaust, shocks and controls so far. I've got mostly everything else cleaned/primed/painted, although the wheels and forks need some attention. By the weekend I'm aiming to have the engine cleaned, and the wiring tidied up/renewed. Will post pics next time I'm on.

I've got a plastic fuel tank with a lid and tap, but its got a hole about 3 inches wide and half an inch long where it would have sat over the exhaust - any ideas what I could use to fix it? I've got half a notion to buy a new one from miller/bultaco uk, and also like the look of miller's universal alloy tanks - which could be a real possibility given that the original seat is destined for the bin - but, ultimately, if I could salvage the one I have, it would free up funds for elsewhere on the bike.

Also, I don't know what shocks the bike would have had originally, but I've found a pair of Girling units which have cleaned up all right, and seem salvageable - any ideas where I could get the rubber inserts for these?

Hi Chris,

I have a 199A & a recently bought/semi restored Model 124. The correct shocks are Betor 13.4" centre to centre these were originally fitted and are readily available from Sammy Miller Products or Dave Renham at Bultaco UK who is your best bet for most everything Bultaco.

If the chrome liners in the brake drums are worn away I can suggest a repairer for these who can reline the hubs without removing the wheel rim.

Unable to help you with the tank repair though.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Edited by TrialsRfun

Hi, Chris. I am in a very similar position to you and will be watching your progress with interest. I also have a 1979/80 199A that I bought in pieces. I was told that 99% of the bike was contained in the boxes that I bought but I was very much misled. I am learning as I go and feel that joining this forum was a very poitive move forward. I have found reading through the many pages of posts to be very enlightening. I have also learned that Dave Renham of Bultaco UK is a very good person to call when trying to source parts for these bikes.

Best of luck with your project and do please keep us posted.

Regards, Tony

Hi Chris,

Just finished a resto on a Bultaco, very much in the same sort of condition. the wheels posed a bit of problem, rusty spokes but sound. rubbed them down and sprayed them black, linings were a little flakey but stop the bike ok. i have seen original ally tanks go for around 50 quid on ebay. whats the external measurement of the rubbers, i maybe able to let you have some, have a few old shocks kicking around. drop me a line. good luck

• 2 months later...

Sherpa Resto rolls on....

Frame & swingarm painted, engine painted, bashguard cleaned up, all that lot & yokes fitted.

Found an old piece of mudguard, and used it to repair the plastic tank. Haven't tested it yet (other than covering the holes, and trying to blow through it), but looks good, and a helluva lot better that the previous repair - where someone had covered the hole with cable ties melted in place.

Need to check everything is bolted up, then rewire from magneto to new coil and check spark.

Next weekend will hopefully fit exhaust, have carb cleaned and fitted, fill clutch & gearbox, wire throttle up, and check for life.

To do list:

Check bolts & head bolts

Re-fit swing arm, without forgetting to fit exhaust mount/chain tensioner

Rewire new coil/cut-off switch

Tidy up kick start & gear lever

Grind a chunk off ally LHS brake lever to get more travel

Fit bars (Renthals or old style?)

Fit controls - re-use old Amal throttle

Fit exhaust

Oil

Tidy up tank welds & fit

Fuel lines/breathers

Recover seat with bits of scrounged Gixxer seat

Make up ally side panels

Sort original air box or use cone filter?

Fork legs rechromed

Rebuild rear wheel

Worry about brakes

What I could do with from someone with a Sherpa handy, is a picture of the rear engine mount/exhaust bracket/chaintensioner set-up.

Also, anyone who runs their Sherpa with a brake rod on the left hand side - a picture of the brake pedal and rod. I cant convince myself that when the swing arm moves the brakes won't jam on.

Tomtom - found bushings. They were in one of the many boxes. Seen better days, but they'll get me up and running. Thanks.

Must get my pictures up too...

Brand new (?) polished steel hubs with nice new brake faces all shiny and nice from BultacoUK.com are £55 each (exchange) plus bearings and re-lacing etc...Bloody good value I reckon and their nice helpful people as well.

Cheers

Mick :thumbup:

Forgot to mention "Sids Wheels" who re-stitched my Sherpa 325 with new stainless spokes on to the original rims for £120.00 the pair, also a good bloke and does really fast, good work.

Sid is on 07855 566 713 UK Postcode ST21 6RP if you get your wheels and parts to him, he can supply any spokes and re-build them as required and post them back to you.

Edited by insultaco

• 4 months later...

Hmmm...

Haven't been on for a while, cos I've been too busy tinkering in the garage. Bultaco is getting there, ready to try and start it on my next trip to the garage. (Although I've been saying that for a while....)Need some advice though:

How much oil in clutch & gearbox?

My fuel tank cleans up really nicely, but dries with a white "scale" on it - any ideas? (have tried car polish, paint thinner, bleach, sanding/wet&dry - no joy....)

Also, I have the seat base, but no foam or cover - any ideas how I could make something of it - or what else would fit? I don't fancy paying the prices on ebay/bultaco.uk if I can get away with it - this is a recession project!

Heading outside now to polish fork bottoms. (too miserable to buy paint when theres plenty sand paper/wet & dry lying around...)

Think I asked some odd questions on my last visit, oh well, that's what happens when you've got a box of bits and no instructions!

i've been having some work done on my bike by ady brayshaw ( details on my blog) and in his 'shed' i 've seen enduro and trials bike with new seats built from the seat base up, give him a try if any one can sort it for fair money he's your man

i've been having some work done on my bike by ady brayshaw ( details on my blog) and in his 'shed' i 've seen enduro and trials bike with new seats built from the seat base up, give him a try if any one can sort it for fair money he's your man

Thanks, I'll give him a try.

Hi,TrialsRfun can you give me the details for brake drum reline please, mine need doing before I put it back together,

Cheers, Myson

Hi Myson, Paul Jackson is your man for the brake drum repairs, I have sent you a message with his contact details.