Hard to start from cold?

lc -rev3

For the last month my bike has been getting hard to start from cold, once it does start it's fine for the rest of the day starting first time. I've tried a new spark plug and cleaned the carb but still the same. Went to kick it over today and it failed to start after a good 15 kicks , it almost fired by about the 8th kick but I think it was flooded by then. Gave it a few kicks with fuel off but still nothing. Anyone had similar or got any ideas? cheers

Not sure any of these things really want to jump to life when it is cold, defining cold, I woould estimate below about 10 c.

Your query made me pull up the Aberdeen weather, stated 5 c!

There have always been a couple tricks.(presuming you have a stock dellorto carb on)

Turn fuel on, turn bars to right and lay the bike all the way over till the left bar is at the ground for a few seconds(3-5)which will spill a bit of fuel into the carb to prime it.

Not sure just how many in your area do enlarge the choke jet, yet may well help.

Not totally sure about the thing that Tony mentioned about the fuel goung off in the bowl, yet it is not a bad suggestion, as I can tell you that is absolutly true on my 4T Yam dualsport after more than a week. Crap for fuel we get anyway!

Possibly others in your area may share as well. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies. By 'cold' I was really meaning after the bike had been parked up for a few days as it never had this problem during the cold spell last winter. I've been out today and dumped the fuel from carb and leaned it over as above and it started 2nd kick so fingers crossed.

One more thing that may/may not be related to this is after a wet trial in burns or sometimes after washing I often find water behind the flywheel cover, I wasn't sure about the' drill a hole in cover' mod so have always just removed cover afterwards and started the bike to dry it out. If something had got rusty in the stator would this cause this kind of problem or would it be hard to start at all times not just from cold? cheers

Thanks for the replies. By 'cold' I was really meaning after the bike had been parked up for a few days as it never had this problem during the cold spell last winter. I've been out today and dumped the fuel from carb and leaned it over as above and it started 2nd kick so fingers crossed.

One more thing that may/may not be related to this is after a wet trial in burns or sometimes after washing I often find water behind the flywheel cover, I wasn't sure about the' drill a hole in cover' mod so have always just removed cover afterwards and started the bike to dry it out. If something had got rusty in the stator would this cause this kind of problem or would it be hard to start at all times not just from cold? cheers

Well, try the thing for a bit with turning the fuel off and letting the bowl run down before shutting the bike off and parking it. It may help, as there is indeed an issue with the high aeromatics in the fuel evaporating just as with the 4T I mentioned.

Good fresh sparkie set at .6mm as well. Running the standard plug BP5ES I always chunk(or save) them at the first signs of hard starting anyway. Cheap, and one needs spares.

You can always use the leanover method as a secondary default just to tell, still yet it cannot be that warm there at the temps I seen, they may be tempramental, as once near 0 c, you better tip it, then put in 4thgear and rock it a bit just to get things circulating prior to kicking has been my experience.

I would Not normally think the "rusty" thing on the ignition side would be it, as it seems to me they either work or not. My current '07 has been better than prior bikes about keeping out water, but I still try to use come caution when washing the thing under pressure. Add, I still ck it from time to time and spray things down with wd40. If yours is prone to let water in, then one is still well advised to dry it out by some means and not let the water get trapped in there causing corrosion.

:rolleyes:

Edited by copemech

If you're tempted to drill a hole to vent the mag, you'd be better off heating a phillips screwdriver and running it through the rubber block where the wires go in, then stick a rubber hose in there and run it up under the tank. This will let some air in there to let things dry out. It'll also keep the case from building up a vacuum. High school physics told us that when that space gets hot and cools quickly (going through water), it's going to try real hard to suck water in past the gasket.

If you're tempted to drill a hole to vent the mag, you'd be better off heating a phillips screwdriver and running it through the rubber block where the wires go in, then stick a rubber hose in there and run it up under the tank. This will let some air in there to let things dry out. It'll also keep the case from building up a vacuum. High school physics told us that when that space gets hot and cools quickly (going through water), it's going to try real hard to suck water in past the gasket.

It is nice to see Charlie around! I hope he is enjoying life on the Montanka!

Hey Charlie, I gave up on high school physics, all they did was p*** me off with their stupid theories, but last time I checked, s--t still ran downhill.(first rule of plumbing)

And you won't vent nothing with the bike sitting up all week with a puddle in the bottom of the cover. Try putting your little vent tube in a soda bottle and let it sit to find out.

Warm it up if you like, but to make the water move, you realy need to boil it! Which is unlikely in the situation.

All point being, letting it in or out the bottom is much simpler! :thumbup:

Oh, while you are at it, drill a 2mm hole in that bottle and submerge it just to see how much water comes in normally, good luck!

Edited by copemech

Hey Charlie, I gave up on high school physics, all they did was p*** me off with their stupid theories, but last time I checked, s--t still ran downhill.(first rule of plumbing)

And you won't vent nothing with the bike sitting up all week with a puddle in the bottom of the cover. Try putting your little vent tube in a soda bottle and let it sit to find out.

Warm it up if you like, but to make the water move, you realy need to boil it! Which is unlikely in the situation.

Oh, while you are at it, drill a 2mm hole in that bottle and submerge it just to see how much water comes in normally, good luck!

I didn't mean to imply that the vent would make the puddle go away, but it might keep it from getting there in the first place.

That hot compartment will suck water if you submerge it and cool it quickly.

• 9 months later...

For the last month my bike has been getting hard to start from cold, once it does start it's fine for the rest of the day starting first time. I've tried a new spark plug and cleaned the carb but still the same. Went to kick it over today and it failed to start after a good 15 kicks , it almost fired by about the 8th kick but I think it was flooded by then. Gave it a few kicks with fuel off but still nothing. Anyone had similar or got any ideas? cheers

I have a BETA REV-3 270cc 2001 and have had the same problem for a while.

Never have had any problems starting it during the day when I'm out riding.

My solution was very simple:

1. Make sure you always turn off the fuel valve when parking for the day.

2. First start of the day: Fuel valve ON and I always use some choke (resetting it directly after it starts)

My problem is gone :-)

i left my bike for 3months when i had a car accident and a trick i learnt of a mate was that on the dellorto carbs there's a small tube that points upwards at an angle and just get a piece of small tube and blow down tube for a few seconds and it starts on at least 1st or 2nd kick; as previously i had tried kicking it over to no joy and like you said probably flooded it, also if left you'll probably find the clutch plates stick so remember to free it up before kicking over or you could end up starting up the bike and engaging gears and the bike will shoot forward and do some damage as i've heard this happen to a few people on the scene...

i left my bike for 3months when i had a car accident and a trick i learnt of a mate was that on the dellorto carbs there's a small tube that points upwards at an angle and just get a piece of small tube and blow down tube for a few seconds and it starts on at least 1st or 2nd kick; as previously i had tried kicking it over to no joy and like you said probably flooded it, also if left you'll probably find the clutch plates stick so remember to free it up before kicking over or you could end up starting up the bike and engaging gears and the bike will shoot forward and do some damage as i've heard this happen to a few people on the scene...

Such a novel idea! You know, that may just work on a Dellorto, pressurizing the bowl vent to push some raw fuel up into the bore of the carb! Same as with leaning the bike over, but not ?

Them little vent thingies are not supposed to be pointing UP though, Slicks75, as that allows water in the easy way :thumbup:.

Such a novel idea! You know, that may just work on a Dellorto, pressurizing the bowl vent to push some raw fuel up into the bore of the carb! Same as with leaning the bike over, but not ?

Them little vent thingies are not supposed to be pointing UP though, Slicks75, as that allows water in the easy way :thumbup:.

Yes your quite right ha ha, just had a look and my mistake they're down on an angle at about 20 past the hr, but worked for me.