Which way do the bearing seals go!?

benspray

Hi All

Really quick question hopefully as I have to get my swingarm etc back on tonight if I can ready for the weekend.

When I took the bearing seals out of the dogbone they all had the flat sides inwards ie next to the bearing and the lip/ open side facing out...

I had to take the swingarm to have the linkage bearings cut out as they were totally collapsed and rusted in (there was nothing much left of the seals on the swingarm so I dont know which way around they were), now when I got the swingarm back (from an engineering place) the seals have been put flats out, I asked and he says thats how they are supposed to go. A little worried now as Ive put the seals back in the dogbone as they came out ie flats in and its greased up and back on the bike.

So which is wrong? The swingarm that the engineers have done or the dogbone that I have done (copying from how it was when I took it apart)

Either way now that they are in how easy are they to get out again and put the correct way - I dont have time now to buy new ones and fit them in time for the weekend.

Cheers

Ben

All mine were flat side outwards when I took it apart so that's how mine has gone back together. I've never even thought about it till now. Just had a look in the manual and there is a diagram of those bearings which looks like the lips maybe should be outwards as you've done them. If mine are the wrong way round then nothing has suffered for it in the 2 years since I did them. They are all looked great the other day when I had them apart. Be interested to see what anyone else says.

Just to clarify the manual seems to show linkage bearings have dust seal lips to outside. Swing arm pivot bearings seem to show flat side of dust seal to outside.

Edited by Wherry

All mine were flat side outwards when I took it apart so that's how mine has gone back together. I've never even thought about it till now. Just had a look in the manual and there is a diagram of those bearings which looks like the lips maybe should be outwards as you've done them. If mine are the wrong way round then nothing has suffered for it in the 2 years since I did them. They are all looked great the other day when I had them apart. Be interested to see what anyone else says.

Cheers, weird one huh - I did have a look at the manual it does almost look as if flat side is inwards on the diagram but I couldnt be sure either way.

yeh the flat side goes in against the bearing. make sure you have the space the same eather side b4 u stick them in!!!.

Cheers, I'll redo the ones the engineers have done I think then (as flat side in on the dogbone that I did)

From Wherry's experiance though it doesnt seem to matter a great deal... :)

ok having just removed the seals, another question on a similar theme...

the writing on the bearings, facing out on each side or out on one side in on the other?

I done the dogbone with the writing out on each side (which was my interpretation of the manual), but on the linkage on the swingarm that the guy has done for me ones in ones out....?!

ok having just removed the seals, another question on a similar theme...

the writing on the bearings, facing out on each side or out on one side in on the other?

I done the dogbone with the writing out on each side (which was my interpretation of the manual), but on the linkage on the swingarm that the guy has done for me ones in ones out....?!

Gawd knows if it makes any difference.

Gawd knows if it makes any difference.

Yeah sorry Im probably panicking other nothing in general here, just want to get it right so I dont have to do this again for some time!

Now heading down to the garage go get on with the refit....

Mark1984 I had seen those but wasnt sure the normal ball bearings would be up to the load placed on them, but sounds like they are holding up for you - if I have to do these rollers again I may well ask how yours is going.... :)

Yeah sorry Im probably panicking other nothing in general here, just want to get it right so I dont have to do this again for some time!

Now heading down to the garage go get on with the refit....

Mark1984 I had seen those but wasnt sure the normal ball bearings would be up to the load placed on them, but sounds like they are holding up for you - if I have to do these rollers again I may well ask how yours is going.... :)

you should be replaceing them needle bearings about 1 mabe 2 times a year thats why i changed and i am glad i did if u need a place to buy bearings let me know i have a good site to get them cheeper. all u need is the bearing number which i have have a good day out tommorow im gessing thats why your in such a rush